Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

ALTDDIO_IN Seems Slow

GLees
New Contributor II

I'm designing a deserializer in Cyclone V and see something strange with a simple ALTDDIO_IN megafunction;

GLees_0-1675287025025.png

If I leave the clock and data_in ports unassigned the timing analyzer states an Fmax of around 400Mhz which matches up with the datasheet.  As soon as I assign physical LVDS pins to the ports the Fmax drops to around 200Mhz.  What gives?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hello,

So you've assigned the pin?

Is it possible that you've seen the Critical Warning mentioned in this KDB: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000076713.html

May I know which Quartus version you're using?

Thanks,

Nurina

0 Kudos
GLees
New Contributor II

Yes, I've assigned physical pins, valid LVDS clock and LVDS input.  I see no critical warnings.  I'm using version 18.1.0.

Thanks for you response,

Greg

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hello,

Can you share your design so I can investigate this further?

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
GLees
New Contributor II

I show the design in my original post.  I'm not sure what more you need.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Please share the .qar file. To generate this, go to Project>Archive Project.

So that I can see what other settings you have applied in the project.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
GLees
New Contributor II

I started to prepare a .qar file by recompiling the project and then ran the timing analyzer one last time.  Lo and behold I now get an Fmax around 400Mhz like it should be.  I don't know how to explain this.  I guess for now the problem is solved.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hello,

That is odd, but since the problem has been solved I shall close this case. If you have a new question, please login to https://supporttickets.intel.com , view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution, give Kudos and rate 4/5 survey

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos