Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

Adding a second timer and generate a sof file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I could successfully run the uClinux 2.6 with a sof file that I downloaded from a tutorial. Now I must add a timer to the design and generate a sof file. How can I do that? 

When I try I get a time-limited sof file ("DE2_115_uClinux_time_limited.sof") and when I use that I get the following error msg 

Linux version 3.5.0-rc4-01329-ga227997-dirty (developer@1604) (gcc version 4.1.2)# 820 Sun Apr 2 09:01:31 CEST 2017 bootconsole enabled early_console initialized at 0xe8001440 ERROR: Nios II MUL different for kernel and DTS Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000 ea = c0238094, ra = c0238078, cause = 15 Kernel panic - not syncing: Oops 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13450&stc=1  

I added a timer in Qsys, set its memory address so that it didn't conflict and enabled the same connections as the first timer. Then I recompiled the design and generated a new .dts file with the tool.  

Could you please help me and let me know what I should do?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know about the .dts, but the time limited is probably because you are using an IP that you don't have a license for.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the reply. I've only limited experience using Qsys and Quartus and the design I added a timer to was taken from Mahdi's tutorial how to boot MMU with DE2-115. The error msg looks like I have something wrong with the dts. It also appears if I try with linux 4.x from altera-opensource in github. I will try again and hope that we can solve it.

0 Kudos