Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Addition wrong Values, DE1-SoC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I have the De1-SoC board. I wanted to implement an adder on fpga. The data are on the DDR3 of the HPS. I get access to them with a MSGDMA, what is controlled by the HPS.  

That works fine. The addition component gets it's values from MSGDMA over Avalon Streaming interface (sink and source). 

I can start the transaction and I get values back but here is the problem: 

I just add +1 to the input, but the output is +2 higher 

Example: 

0+1 = 2 ??? is this possible? 

4+1 = 6 ??? 

Where is the mistake? 

Can anyone help me? 

Thanks, Jules
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If that's all your code, the mistake is to connect to the data line of the streaming interface without providing any handshake. 

library IEEE; use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all; use IEEE.numeric_std.all; entity Addition is generic ( Number_of_Taps : integer := 2); PORT ( clk : in std_logic; reset : in std_logic; inDATA : in std_logic_vector (15 downto 0); outDATA : out std_logic_vector (15 downto 0) ); end Addition architecture rtl of Addition is begin outDATA <= std_logic_vector(signed(inDATA) + 1); end architecture;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank's for your answer.  

I have a Top vhdl with the avalon streaming interface. I use the following signals: valid, ready, data 

Now I found a way. I changed the Memory from the HPS DDR3 to a on chip memory. One memory is for the input, another for the outputs. Now there are the right values.  

Is there somebody who can explain me why i have wrong values with the HPS DDR3 memory?  

I am accessing it with the fpga to hps bridge. Linux has a limited memory. So I have no problem with the access.
0 Kudos