Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Altera Remote Update IP core on Cyclone IV

Luk
Beginner

I used the Cyclone V Remote System Update Design Example on my Cyclone IV E board, it didin't work, the application image could not be loaded by the factory configuration image. The Parameter in the state of the user control block file is changed to suit Cylone IV devices.

I used a signaltapⅡ to observe the state,but it showed 'instance not found'.

Any advice is helpful.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Can you kindly elaborate how cyclone V example on the cyclone IV E device ;

Please follow the user guide of IP section 1.4 for the cyclone IV devices .

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altremote.pdf

Can I know what interface you are using example port or Avalon ?

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
Luk
Beginner

I use the IP port not the Avalon.

I created a new project for cyclone IV E, created a new verilog HDL file as the top-level, created the remote update IP and added the file 'ru_cb.v' which is from Cyclone V Remote System Update Design Example.(https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/others/literature/ug/altremote_update_DesignExample_RSU.zip)

Can you open the project?

A Reset_delay module and a pulse_gen module were instantiated like the Cyclone V Example.

The port 'start_write' was set '1' and 'page_select' was set '0' in the 'ru_cb.v'module.

The above mentioned project is as the factory image, I also created a new project as the application image. Program the .jic file which is Generatied follow the user guide. After restart power, neither running the factory nor running the application.

0 Kudos
Luk
Beginner

Hello,

I created a new Cyclone IV project based on the Cyclone V Remote System Update Design Example.I used the user control block file 'ru_cb.v'and the parameter in the state machine of the file of'ru_cb.v' is changed to suit Cylone IV devices.

To use the remote update IP ,I want to know if the signal 'start_write' and 'page_select' must be an input PIN? Besides the lock and reset signals are input PINs, are there any other inputs required?

I programed a .jic file which contain a factory image and application image to the FPGA flash at different addresses,but the application image could not be loaded by the factory configuration image. 

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

please create the new project with cyclone IV (which you want to use ) and add the IP of RSU using the IP catalog; Please dont add any IP files from Cyclone V to Cyclone IV project ;

here is the user guide for the Cyclone IV for your reference.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyiv-51008.pdf

About the remote IP; as of i know there will be read_param and write_param ; and to handshake use the BUSY signal. Kindly read the remote IPO user guide for more details ;

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altremote.pdf

thank you,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
Luk
Beginner

Hello Sree,

Thank you very much.

I followed the information in the user guide to create a new project, and the application configuration could be loaded by the factory configuration.

I still have some questions:

1. If there is an error when loading the application configuration, how do I know ? To read the watchdog time-out value?

2. What is in the state register of param [111] ?

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Hello Luk,

1. If there is an error when loading the application configuration, how do I know ?

In the Parameter bit 000 will provide you the configuration CRC error , Any missing field in the configuration or mismatch will definitely trigger the CRC . Also you can use the watchdog timer as well for the same ;

If you refer the Figure 4 ; It is clear that in the code you can implement the Error count and try 3 times. Also In handbook below link; can you refer the configuration error section ;

To read the watchdog time-out value?

In the param , you can use the 010 , will give you the WDT timeout value ;

What is in the state register of param [111] ?

I am not sure I follow you here , According to RSU user guide it is illegal value .

Thank yo u,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
Luk
Beginner

Hello Sree,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Now I know how to operate it.

The parameter bit 111 in Cyclone IV or Intel Cyclone 10 LP devices performs the same function as the parameter bit 000 of other devices.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Sure ....Awasome ..Thank you for letting me know ..

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos