Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Arria V-Quartus 18/18.1 time quest constrains.

JOter
Beginner

I have problems, with a Arria V-Quartus 18/18.1 and time quest constraints. It seems quartus does not apply the constraints file. The same Project Works properly with a cyclone III and Q13.1.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi JOter,

What are the error messages? Could you elaborate?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel
Hi JOter, Any updates? Thanks
0 Kudos
JOter
Beginner

There are not errors. The problema is that the signal are delayed as spected.

The signal re: RAM_CLK (CLK) and OUTPUT 0 (counter)

We tested both signal in one scope, and we didn't notice any change between them changing the OUTPUT_DELAY constraints.

Remenber we checked it also using a C III, and in this case we got the spected signal.

We used the next constrains commands:

set_output_delay -clock vt_RAM_CLK -max [expr $RAM_tsetup + $RAM_BDb_max - $RAM_CLK_DLY_MIN] [get_ports {OUTPUT[0]}]

set_output_delay -clock vt_RAM_CLK -min [expr -$RAM_thold + $RAM_BDb_min - $RAM_CLK_DLY_MAX] [get_ports {OUTPUT[0]}]

And

set_output_delay -clock RAM_CLK -max [expr $RAM_tsetup + $RAM_BDb_max - $RAM_CLK_DLY_MIN] [get_ports {OUTPUT[0]}]

set_output_delay -clock RAM_CLK -min [expr -$RAM_thold + $RAM_BDb_min - $RAM_CLK_DLY_MAX] [get_ports {OUTPUT[0]}]

Best regards

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Can you check if the constraints are being ignored under 'Ignored Constraints'? Can you provide the timing report for both design?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JOter
Beginner

Hi,

I send you both projects, so you can obtain all information.

Regards

0 Kudos
JOter
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
JOter
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi JOter,

I checked the AV_OUTPUT_DELAY_TEST using Timing Analyzer, the output delay is as what we set in the .sdc file.

max 3ns and min 2ns.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JOter
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

The problem is when we checks the ouput signal whith one oscilloscope, the output delay between both signals doesn't change using differents

Best regards

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Do you mean that the result in Timing Analyzer is different from the hardware result?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JOter
Beginner

Hi,

Yes, the results seems to be the same independently of the constrains assignement.

Best regards

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

What is the value in the hardware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JOter
Beginner

Hi,

I haven't the numeric results, we didn't anotate them. We tested it with wide range of data output delays (for example from 0 to 8ns)

You must take into acount that the same project works properly with a cyclone III and Q13.1. So we are looking for a problema in our "Q18 and Arria V" Project, or in Q18 compiler.

Best regards

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel
Hi, The value that you see in the Timing report is the worst case scenario. Is the output delay in the hardware exceed the value in the timing report? Thanks.
0 Kudos
JOter
Beginner

​I'm sorry but I didn't see your message. At the end I didn't use any "output_delay", I only used the clock phase shift.

I try to summarize the case. I used the next configuration:

create_clock -name PSRAM_CLK -period 16 [get_ports {PSRAM_CLK}]

create_generated_clock -name vt_PSRAM_CLK -source [get_ports {PSRAM_CLK}] -divide_by 1 -multiply_by 1 -phase 180

set_output_delay -clock {vt_RAM_CLK} 2 [get_ports {RAM_A* }]

Signal meaning: 

PSRAM_CLOCK: RAM mem. clk generated in a FPGA-PLL

RAM_A: RAM mem, addr.I

Both signals were monitoring with one oscilloscope. The delay between both was almost constant for any "set_output_delay" value, quite different to the programmed value.

oscil_001.png

0 Kudos