Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Arria10 SoC Dev Kit Beginner Help

jozephka99
New Contributor II

Hi,

I used MAX10 series (DE10-Lite) before then I switch it to Arria10 SoC Dev Kit. I read the documentation about the board -no need to say it is awfull-. When I want to start with the beginner things like using FPGA's user leds it dont worked. I'm very confused with the pin assignments because most of the pin numbers don't write in user guide. In user guide there is just board reference numbers so I cannot understand which pin that I should connect. I tried to find pin numbers from schematic but again it didn't work either. For example for FPGA's UART (DB9) user guide just say M10,R10 board referances. In schematics M10,R10 connected RX,TX signal but when I trying to find these signals connected pin numbers, there is 3 signal pairs exactly the same name for CPU and FPGA UARTs. Despite all these I couldn't even blink a led from FPGA. I don't understand why. The leds connected the MAXV and then the Arria10. But of course user guide doesn't have any information about what is the pin number of the leds connected signals. Again what I find in schematics don't work. I'm programming the Arria10 with my logic and programming the MAXV with system .pof file that in the examples. Am I doing a configuring mistake, pin assign mistake or something different.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You don't normally need to do anything with the MAX V device on the board.

Use the example designs as a starting point if you don't like the documentation.  Go to the Pin Planner from the Assignments menu in an open project to see how board components, like the LEDs are connected to FPGA I/O pins.

I presume this is the kit you are referring to:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/arria-10-soc-development-kit.html

So download the .zip that includes a number of example Quartus project designs from there.  You can find more here:

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/?acds_version=any&family=arria-10&board=16

or at Rocketboards.org.

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

Thanks for advises. Yes I'm referring that kit. I found a project named "golden_top" in the examples that shows pin connections of board. I saw most of my before pin assignments are true. I succeed the leds working. (they are active low btw). But I still couldn't find FPGA RS232 UART pins. In golden_top there is no assignment for that UART. May be the FPGA UART pins have multiple connections and there for the other connections write in the golden.

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

In your Golden top, you need to enable the UART in Platform designer and regenerate the qsys.
You may refer to below.

EricMunYew_C_Intel_0-1637305723494.png

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

I try both route to HPS and FPGA but what should I do after the routing. Platform designer export the uart pins but when I try the use that pins I can just receive something and couldn't transmit anything. When I connect J10 usb uart to the minicom, it automatically send hps debug despite I route J10 to the fpga. I think I must do something in the hps side either but I don't know exactly. So what's the problem and what can I do?

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

You don't have to change anything on the GHRD, the HPS uart1 is connected to DB9 by default and it is fixed.

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

But I cannot use it. Where is DB9 exactly? And how can I use these uarts in my fpga logic.

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

The DB9 is a UART connector, it is connected to UART1 of HPS and not the FPGA fabric.

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

Like I said it prints hps debugs, I cannot control it even if I route the uart1 to the fpga. 

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

For routing HPS UART to FPGA fabric you can refer to page 589 and 660 of below for details.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/arria-10/a10_5v4.pdf

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Since this thread had been answered, we shall close this thread. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome to post a response within 15days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos