Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

CYCLONE V OCT Problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using in my design a Cyclone V device (namely the 5CGXBC3B7U15C8N), while using PIN#M13, N12 as an LVDS RX port. 

Going through ALTERA device handbook, it has two variations for On Chip Termination: 

- Embedded inside FPGA. 

- On board termination. 

Does declaring LVDS inside QUARTUSII automatically attributes a 100ohm OCT for this pair? 

Thank you for your answers, 

Refael.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The Cyclone V devices provide a 100 Ω, on-chip differential termination option on each differential receiver channel for LVDS standards. On-chip termination saves board space by eliminating the need to add external resistors on the board. You can enable on-chip termination in the Quartus Prime software Assignment Editor. 

--- Quote End ---  

By selecting LVDS you will automatically get the termination resistor. However, you can remove this by setting the 'Input Termination' to 'Off', or adding a line to the project's Quartus Settings File (.qsf): 

--- Quote Start ---  

set_instance_assignment -name INPUT_TERMINATION OFF -to your_input_signal 

--- Quote End ---  

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Alex, 

Thank you for your reply. 

So, I receive differential termination by default, can I alter this value to a new value of my choosing? 

Also, currently in my design the RZQ resistor is not connected. 

From Altera's handbook I can see this resistor is used for calibration purposes, what is the termination value if this resistor is missing? 

Thanks, 

Refael.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can adjust the On-Chip Termination (OCT) via this same 'Input Termination' parameter - various OCT options are available. However, I'm sure not all (if any) of the the OCT options will be valid for LVDS. I suspect you'll only be able to switch it OFF or leave it a it's default. Play around with it to see. 

--- Quote Start ---  

what is the termination value if this resistor is missing? 

--- Quote End ---  

Something that's not correct. The handbook doesn't cover this eventuality. Unfortunately, if you've not followed the guidelines, you're on your own. However, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Some specific DQ pins can also be used as RZQ pins. If you need extra RZQ pins, you can use these [the] DQ pins as RZQ pins instead. 

--- Quote End ---  

So, depending on your board you may be able to salvage something by using an alternative pin. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos