Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Can not reprogram the FPGA/JTAG does not respond

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I have several custom pcb board with MAX 10 Fpga inside. I programmed the FPGAs with a .pof file that gets stored on to the flash. After that I am unable to reprogram the boards again! The altera device programmer is unable to communicate with the FPGA through JTAG.  

Is there a way to reset the FPGA, like clearing the flash content ? I hope that would allow me to reprogram. Because the assumption is that the existing stored design that gets mapped from flash somehow contradicts with the JTAG.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anything in flash would not prevent JTAG from working. Check the programming signals. Something else is going on.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is your JTAGEN pin tied low? 

If your design has enabled dual-purpose configuration pins and the device has booted from internal FLASH then you will need to drive JTAGEN high to enable the JTAG pins as dedicated JTAG pins. 

Refer to section 3.1 'dual-purpose configuration pins' in the "max 10 fpga configuration user guide (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_config.pdf)". Refer to table 26 for JTAGEN behaviour. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos