Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

Can we compile preloader without optimization ?

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am struglling with building u-boot-spl (preloader), without debug information.

Is it possible ? How ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello sir,

We always recommend our standard flow of compiling preloader, uboot and zImage, since this is the tested flow on board.

Keeping the debug info will not cause any issue to your system unless you need to reduce the image size. If the system is not able to boot, and you are following the recommended flow by intel, there is a big possibility of having some hardware issues.

thank you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello sir,

May I know which device is this?

Also, which Quartus version are you using?

Thank you..

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello,

We are using 5ASXFB5 (arria V) with quartus 15.1

When compiling preloader, I see in log that it use optimizations "-0s" and "-O2", and "-g".

I can debug preloader, but I rather have no optimization at all, becuase I see some skips from line to line sometimes, which make debugging more confusing.

I searched settings file and Makefile, but found nothing, which helps to remove optimization.

Thanks

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello,

I managed to proceed in debug, even without "no optimization" method.

So, the answer to this question is less required now.

Thank you.

Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello sir,

We always recommend our standard flow of compiling preloader, uboot and zImage, since this is the tested flow on board.

Keeping the debug info will not cause any issue to your system unless you need to reduce the image size. If the system is not able to boot, and you are following the recommended flow by intel, there is a big possibility of having some hardware issues.

thank you

0 Kudos