20644 Discussions

Cannot access the JTAG port of Arria10 SoC

SYiwe
Novice

There’re two Arria 10 SoCs in my design,

the follwoing picture indicates the JTAG chain on board. Chip A and Chip B

share the same TCK & TMS. TCK is pulled down to GND and TMS is pulled up to

VCCPGM(1.8V), according to the pin guidelines. TDO of Chip A connects to TDI of

Chip B. TDI of Chip A is pulled up to VCCPGM(1.8V).

After power up, programmer in quartus

cannot scan the JTAG chain, and reminds me the following errors when I run

“Test JTAG chain”:

!Error: JTAG chain problem detected

!Error: TDI connection to the first

detected device UNKNOWN_FE000001 might be shorted to GND

!Error: The TCK and TMS connections to the

device before the first detected device UNKNOWN_FE000001 might have a problem

!Info: Detected 3 device(s)

!Info: Device 1: UNKNOWN_FE000001

!Info: Device 2: UNKNOWN_F2000001

!Info: Device 3: UNKNOWN_F2000001

Also, the following error pops out when I

try “JTAG Chain Debugging”:

!Error: Incorrect clock value

The impedance between JTAG TDI and GND is

1.029KΩ.

The impedance between the output of

VCCPGM(1.8V) regulator and GND is 24Ω.

Is the Arria 10 SoC JTAG port permanently

damaged?

What can I do to access the JTAG chain?

Thanks, regards.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RPDM
New Contributor I

Make sure nCONFIG isn't pulled low - as I think that prevents a valid JTAG ID from being returned (at least, that's what I've experienced in the past).

0 Kudos
SYiwe
Novice

Thank you very much for your answer. That might explain the UNKNOW_DEVICE problem, but I'm still wondering why programmer report TDI might be shorted to GND.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, It is due the device might be in reset state which provided the wrong TDO where Quartus programmer detected it as shorted to gnd
0 Kudos
SYiwe
Novice

Thank you very much for your answer, John.

How can I confirm the device in reset state or not?

Besides, should I connect the TDI of usb blaster to the device's TDI or TDO?

Thanks, regards.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, You can confirm by measuring the nConfig and nStatus pin where both should be high. If you are referring to USB-Blaster user guide, the TDI is referring to the device TDI.
0 Kudos
SYiwe
Novice

Thank you. Here's my update.

The waveforms of both devices' nSTATUS pins are rectangular waves, and one's frequency is 516Hz while the other one is 542Hz.

I refer to relevant hanbook, after sampling MSEL, nSTATUS is released high and then pulled low if configuration error occurs.

In my design, I define MSEL=011 with pull-up resistor to VCCPGM and pull-down reststor to GND, which indicates AS×4 mode. Each of the devices has an attached EPCQL1024.

Is it possible that the devices try to load configuration data from EPCQL1024 after power-up then fail, so the waveform of nSTATUS is rectangular wave, resulting the reset of the device and JTAG periodically?

If the answer is yes, how can I solve this problem to relase the device from reset state?

Thanks, regards.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee
This can happen if there is a corrupted bitstream. 1st method to resolved the issue is by changing the MSEL to not AS mode and power the board before switching the board back to AS mode. Then you can use JIC file to reconfigure it or erase the flash content. 2nd method is have a direct connection from the blaster to the flash through Active Serial interace. Then erase or re-program it.
0 Kudos
SYiwe
Novice

Thank you for your answer.

I changed the define of MSEL from 011(AS mode) to 000(JTAG mode), now nSTATUS pin is high, as well as nCONFIG.

But the programmer still reminds me "unable to scan device chain" as you can see in the following picture.

The oscilloscope can detect pulses on TDO pin when I click "auto detect".

Currently I prefer to access the device via JTAG rather than AS interface, so I hope to find a solution to access the JTAG chain.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, regards.

unable to scan the device chain.PNG

0 Kudos
SYiwe
Novice

Hi, here's some facts that I can confirm:

1. The voltage values of VCCPGM, VCCIO_HPS, VCCIOREF_HPS, A10VCCPLL_HPS and A10VCCA_PLL are correct, range from 1.824V to 1.829V.

2. I design the JTAG circuit following the instructions in the handbook named "Configuration, Design Security, and Remote System Upgrades in Arria 10 Devices", as you can see in the following picture. All the resistors are soldered well.

JTAG chain design.PNG

3. The impedance values between JTAG pins(TDI, TDO, TCK and TMS) and GND range from 1.028KΩ to 1.180MΩ, and the impedance values between JTAG pins and VCCPGM range from 1KΩ to 1.180MΩ.

4. After power-up, TDI and TMS are high, TCK is low and the voltage of TDO is 0.612V. MSEL=000 and both nCONFIG and nSTATUS are high.

5. When I run "Auto detect" in Programmer, a error message occurs: "unable to scan device chain. Can't scan JTAG chain. Do you want to open the JTAG Chain Debugger to troubleshoot the JTAG chain?", as you can see in the following picture.

unable to scan the device chain.PNG

6. When I run "Test JTAG Chain", the Programmer reminds that TDI might be shorted to GND,and unknown devices detected, as you can see in the following picture.

result of test jtag chain.PNG

7. When I run "Auto detect" in Programmer, the oscilloscope can capture waveforms of TDI, TCK, TDO and TMS, as you can see in the following pictures.auto detect TCK.jpg

auto detect TDI.jpg

auto detect TDO.jpg

auto detect TDO(zoom in).jpg

auto detect TMS.jpg

And here's my questions:

1. Is the JTAG port of Arria 10 permanently damaged? How can I confirm that?

2. Currently I'm using Altera Usb Blaster, does usb blaster support Arria 10 SoC? Should I change to Altera Usb blaster II?

3. Do you have more suggestions for me to access the JTAG chain?

Thanks, regards.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee
1. Is the JTAG port of Arria 10 permanently damaged? How can I confirm that? It might happen. No way except replacing the device. 2. Currently I'm using Altera Usb Blaster, does usb blaster support Arria 10 SoC? Should I change to Altera Usb blaster II? Yes. Changing to blaster II will not help. 3. Do you have more suggestions for me to access the JTAG chain? From the schematic diagram, it shows only 2 device connected while in the JTAG chain debugger, it shows 3 device is connected. Could you confirm which connection is correct?
0 Kudos
SYiwe
Novice

I can confirm there're 2 devices in the JTAG chain. The part type is 10AS066N3F40.

Ideally I should see 4 components in JTAG Chain Debugger, 2 FPGAs and 2 HPSs. 

So far I have two auto-detect results, with 3 components and 5 components respectively, as you can see in the following pictures. Both of the results have UNKNOWN_FE000001 as the first component. 

I'm also wondering why there're one more device that I can't explain. 

Thanks, regrads. 3 devices.PNG 5 devices.PNG

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, There is no way to figured out the issue as I suspect that 1 of the device might be damage. The only to check is to try and change the device.
0 Kudos
SYiwe
Novice

Thank you very much for your answer.

0 Kudos