Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
19209 Discussions

Communication between two FPGAs (using altlvds ip?)

MKlee2
New Contributor I

Hello,

I need to implement a communication between two FPGAs, one Cyclone V and one Cyclone 10 LP. Both devices will be connected using a fiber cable, so I have one tx and one rx lane.

Because of the Cyclone 10 LP missing a Gxb transceiver, I thought about using the altlvds ip + external pll for rx and an external 8b/10b coding, for the communication.

Could this setup do the job? Is it possible to adjust the pll using dynamic phase shift / reconfiguration for reliable data transfer?

The first problem I face with the idea above starts with the fitter for some reason I’m not able to implement this setup on the Cyclone V. Fitter throws error:

Error (11239): Location FRACTIONALPLL_X0_Y1_N0 is already occupied by pll_tx:pll_tx0|pll_tx_0002:pll_tx_inst|altera_pll:altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL.

Even though I only use 2 of 6 plls in this design.

So could you please tell me if this idea is completely off, and/or if there is a better way to do it?

I suppose my main issue will be the clock recovery, I’m still not sure myself on how I should do this, using the setup above.

Or would a slower communication (using oversampling) be a better/easier solution?

Because many control signal will be transmitted, the communication should feature a low latency, while the actual bandwidth doesn’t need to be that high. (We will transmit data chunks of about a few bits).

1 Solution
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee
Hi, May I know the below error is for the Error (11239): Location FRACTIONALPLL_X0_Y1_N0 is already occupied by pll_tx:pll_tx0|pll_tx_0002:pll_tx_inst|altera_pll:altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL. For which Cyclone part

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee
Hi, May I know the below error is for the Error (11239): Location FRACTIONALPLL_X0_Y1_N0 is already occupied by pll_tx:pll_tx0|pll_tx_0002:pll_tx_inst|altera_pll:altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL. For which Cyclone part