Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Compilation will not complete, possibly due to unconstrained paths

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Altera Experts, 

I've purchased a DE0-Nano Development Board and am attempting to compile the first example: 

https://www.physics.wisc.edu/undergrads/courses/fall2014/623/altera-deo_reference/de0-nano_my_first_fpga_v1.0.pdf 

The compilation has stalled at 83%. It is unclear, but it seems to be due to 'Unconstrained Paths' within the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer. The relevant log messages should be these: 

Warning (332087): The master clock for this clock assignment could not be derived. Clock: inst1|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[0] was not created. 

Warning (332035): No clocks found on or feeding the specified source node: inst1|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|inclk[0] 

Warning (332060): Node: CLOCK_5 was determined to be a clock but was found without an associated clock assignment. 

Info (332154): The derive_clock_uncertainty command did not apply clock uncertainty to any clock-to-clock transfers. 

Warning (332056): PLL cross checking found inconsistent PLL clock settings: 

Warning (332056): Node: inst1|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[0] was found missing 1 generated clock that corresponds to a base clock with a period of: 20.000 

Warning (332061): Virtual clock CLOCK_5 is never referenced in any input or output delay assignment. 

Given that I am a complete beginner attempting my first example, can you please describe clearly how I can debug this? Are there further files that I should attach? 

Many Thanks, 

Will 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13046&stc=1
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Altera Experts, 

I am eager for a reply. Let me know if there is a way I can improve my post to better allow for expert help. 

Thanks, 

Will
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What operating system are you running on your computer? 

What version of Quartus have you installed? 

Where did you get your demo software? Did you download it from the TerAsic suite, or is it from an included CD?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ak6dn, 

--- Quote Start ---  

What operating system are you running on your computer? 

What version of Quartus have you installed? 

Where did you get your demo software? Did you download it from the TerAsic suite, or is it from an included CD? 

--- Quote End ---  

Windows 10, 64-bit 

Quartus II 13.0 (64-bit) 

It is from the DE0-Nano included CD 

Thanks, 

Will
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Per Altera's wbsite, the following are Quartus system requirements: 

• Quartus 13.1 is the last version that will run on Windows XP 32b and Windows 7 32b (and it will run on Windows 7 64b also).  

• Quartus 14.0 and later require Windows 7 64b (not 32b) and later (Windows 8.1).  

• Quartus 16.0 is the first version supported on Windows 10 64b (also will run on Windows 7/8.1 64b).  

So if you are running on Windows 10 you should be at Quartus version 16.0 or later. 

Reference: https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/os-support.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Despite the OS compatibility issues, try a simple example first. A counter is a good starting point and see if it works. 

Then do a complex synthesis. 

Sometimes the synthesis process may last for hours depending on the design and FPGA capabilities. 

The TimeQuest warnings normally do not result in such situations.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

if there is a way I can improve my post to better allow for expert help 

--- Quote End ---  

Provide readable pictures in your post. 

Missing timing constraints or timing violation will usually not prevent design compilation. Please also tell what's the "first example" you tried to compile (design name).
0 Kudos