Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Computer configuration for FPGA compilation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone,  

I have to change the computer which I use to work on FPGAs becauase It needs 2 hours and half to compile a complex Arria V code . I have a doubt about two configuration: the first one based on I7 8700K and the second based on I9 7940X, equipped with 64GB DDR4 and SSD, both.  

I7 has 6 cores, 12 MB cache and works up to 4.7 GHz. 

I9 has 14 cores, 19,25 MB cache and works up to 4.3 GHz. 

Quartus 17 is capable to fully load 14 cores or it's better a CPU with 6 cores that work faster than 18? 

Any advices??? 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For others that might have a similar question about computer configuration I will put this here: I only know RAM is important, and if I remember correctlh 64GB should be enough for Arria, as for cores, I have no idea

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd go for the one with lower cores but higher top clock speed. Quartus is getting better with multicores, but is not there yet. I'm not sure the cache size increase is enough to make a difference.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just after submitting my answer I thought of something.... where are you using most of the time when compiling your project? If it is the fitter then it may make sense to go for higher cores, because AFAIK it is the fitter that is currently the most multicore friendly part of the Quartus compiler. You can also monitor your current PC CPU cores usage while to compile your project to check.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks so much for the answers

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any other advice???

0 Kudos