Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Cyclon III + EPCS16 programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm quite new to Cyclon FPGAs. Just got my new custom board made and was happy that it JTAGed using TerasicBlaster and FPGA works fine.  

The problem is that program is not reloaded after powerup. In quartus programmer I only see one device whic is cyclon. I'm starting to wonder -  

Is it actually possible to program EPCS16 using TerasicBlaster? Or is it just Cyclon FPGA thats gets the program.  

I can't select EPCS16 as a device in Quartus Programmer, because the project is done for Cyclon and programmer says that sof file is incompatible.  

How to get EPCS16 programmed, thats the question.  

Any help apreciated, thank you!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It depends on how you have your FPGA configuration hooked up. I use an EPCS16 device in active serial configuration and I program it by making a .jic file. This can be done using the convert programming files tool from the menu File->convert programming files. You then select which EPCS device you are using, the cyclone device you are using, and the .sof file. 

Edit: Here is a pdf explaining the different configurations http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyc/cyc_c51013.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

In quartus programmer I only see one device whic is cyclon. I'm starting to wonder -  

Is it actually possible to program EPCS16 using TerasicBlaster? Or is it just Cyclon FPGA thats gets the program.  

I can't select EPCS16 as a device in Quartus Programmer, because the project is done for Cyclon and programmer says that sof file is incompatible.  

--- Quote End ---  

Select the Cyclone device in the Programmer window. Then select "Attach flash device" from the Edit menu or in the context menu (mouse right click). 

At this point I can't remember exactly but I think you need a different file format assigned to epcs: jic or pof.  

sof is intended only for jtag configuration and it is not the actual format stored into flash.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks guys. Sorted.  

I didn't know I have to cobine and convert files.  

Thanks a million!!
0 Kudos