Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20677 Discussions

Cyclone 10 LP QSPI Flash

PYtte
New Contributor I

I am trying to find information on how to use Generic QSPI Flash devices to store programming file for Cyclone 10 LP. We have previous experience with Cyclone V but this is our first time creating something with a Cyclone 10 LP. 

I have found one user guide

UG-20227 Generic Flash Programmer User Guide

Which talks about Cyclone 10 GX, mentions LP at one time but is the same method, requirements etc for GX and LP?

I in particular need to know what pins and what configuration option are required? And what software: The guide only states instructions for 19.1 but Cyclone 10 LP is supported by many other versions.

Also the requirement on the QPSI chip? Frequency? Memory Interface? Byte-addressing?

I have found several development kits from manufacturers that use different QSPI devices from Micronic or ISSI for example and will likely use somehting I can see others have used but I want the documentation so I can check for myself.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Yes it is the same for Cyclone 10 LP. You may use Quartus version 20.1 Standard for that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Are you looking for the usage of Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel® FPGA IP or any IP to read / write with the QSPI flash?

0 Kudos
PYtte
New Contributor I

I want use a QSPI Flash to store the Firmware for the FPGA instead of using a EPCQ. 

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

You may use Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel® FPGA IP to interact with QSPI flash during user mode.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-gen-sfi.pdf

0 Kudos
PYtte
New Contributor I

But that IP would then have to be present in the FPGA. Which means it needs to be already programmed.

I mean using a .jic file in something like a Micron MT25QL (that shows up as supported device in Quartus Prime Lite 21.1) to load firmware on power up.

The Generic Flash Programmer Guide describes this for Arria 10 and Cyclone 10 GX. But not for Cyclone 10 LP. But is it the same for LP?

I also noticed in Quartus 17.1 you can´t choose "Add new device" to configure Generic Flash devices other than Intels. Can I find information somewhere which version of Quartus support this? And by which version was Third party devices added? MT25QL as I mentioned above for example.

EDIT: Sorry found my answer to the last question

Intel Supported Third Party Configuration Devices

Table 3 shows the criteria of third party configuration devices supported by Intel Quartus Convert Programming File Tools and Quartus Programmer version 21.3 Pro Edition and 20.1 Standard Edition.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Yes it is the same for Cyclone 10 LP. You may use Quartus version 20.1 Standard for that.

0 Kudos