Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Cyclone II ---> DVI out

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Has anyone experimented using a serdes to feed directrly video from an Altera Cyclone or Cyclone II device to a DVI monitor? Without an external power hungry serializer chip? I know that the I/O supports a myriad of differential signalling schemes, but not directly DVI signalling. Is there a way to achieve this - lets say not fulfilling the DVI-spec to 100%, but acieving an image on a DVI monitor on lets say max an 1,5m cable? 

Christian
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What voltage levels does DVI require? If you have a spec that is freely available and not confidential please attach.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

The DVI signals are differential current fed signals. The DVI spec can be found at: 

http://www.ddwg.org/lib/dvi_10.pdf 

Starting at page 33 you'll find the electrical specification, too long to describe here. The standard states a current fed differential signalling, but using just a short cable and proper resistive loads/impedance matching it might be possible to achieve this even with a voltage output at Cyclone I/II ?? Or are there any other vendors that have FPGA's that can do DVI directly?? 

Regards, 

Christian
0 Kudos