Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

Cyclone IV EP4CE75F29I7N

silv0954
Beginner

I'm looking to see if there is a drop-in equivalent for this FPGA.  For example, can the EP4CE115F29I7N be used as a circuit level equivalent?  What type of configuration changes when programming might occur?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

What do you mean by 'circuit level equivalent'? That you can reuse the EXACT same programming/configuration files without recompiling?

If so, that part will NOT work, it has a different number of cells and a thus a different configuration file is required.

You can change speed grades / environment class (the trailing xI7N) from industrial (I) to commercial (C) or the speed grade (4,5,6,7,8,9 etc) without doing a recompile, as the same programming file is used. However, that being said, depending on the timing optimization or usage of the part it may or may not work in circuit (ie, if you really need I-class temp range to function a C-class part may not meet timing).

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

Kindly clarify what is mean by circuit level equivalent?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
silv0954
Beginner
Sure thing.

First off, is there a chip with the same pin-out as the EP4CE75F29I7N? For example, can I substitute the EP4CE115F29I7N on the PCB without having to reconfigure the rest of the PCB to account for different pin locations, etc.

Secondly, will I have to completely rewrite the HDL to account for the new chip? Or is it simpler than that; for example, just telling the compiler to use the EP4CE115F29I7N instead?

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Randy
0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Based on the package matrix in the Cyclone IV data book, it should work. See the last column on the attached screenshot.

Any of the 'CE30, 'CE40, or 'CE115 have more I/O capability than the 'CE75.

Refer to note (2) on the table, you WANT to use the package migration planner in the Quartus tool to verify your exact I/O usage is compatible.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks to @ak6dn for your answer.

@silv0954, did our friends answer solve your problem? Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos