Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
All support for Intel NUC 7 - 13 systems has transitioned to ASUS. Read latest update.
20592 Discussions

Cyclone IV GX LVDS placement and termination

Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

I need to place 48 LVDS receiver pairs on to a 484 pin Cyclone IV GX package. I've been studying the Cyclone 4 handbook, specifically section 6 Table 6.2 and I'm still confused.

1. According to this the GX only supports true LVDS on banks 5 and 6, but that's not enough pins. Quartus is happy to allocate my LVDS inputs to other banks, but what is the downside?

2. I'd like to use OCT but table 6.2 just has a blank across the LVDS row. Does that mean LVDS OCT isn't supported?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
1. "true LVDS" refers to transmitters, these banks support LVDS TX IO-standard, the other banks support only emulated LVDS with three resistor network. LVDS RX can be configured for all banks.

2. Cyclone III, IV and 10LP doesn't provide on-chip parallel termination (Rd) for LVDS RX. External 100 ohm resistors are required.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
1. "true LVDS" refers to transmitters, these banks support LVDS TX IO-standard, the other banks support only emulated LVDS with three resistor network. LVDS RX can be configured for all banks.

2. Cyclone III, IV and 10LP doesn't provide on-chip parallel termination (Rd) for LVDS RX. External 100 ohm resistors are required.
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Thanks, a really useful answer. I only need 6 LVDS transmitters so that shouldn't be a problem.

Re OCT you don't include the Cyclone IV GX in your list, is it different from the the Cyclone IV E?

Before I wrap this up, is there a diagram for the three resistor network for LVDS? Figures 6-7 and 6-8 only show HSTL and SSTL with four resistors.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

You can refer to the attached picture on below comment for the diagram of the emulated LVDS transmitters with three resistor networks.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Figure 6–13. LVDS Interface with External Resistor Network on the Top and Bottom I/O Banks

AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

I hope the previous response was sufficient to help you proceed. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you by replying to this thread.

Otherwise, you can take the evaluation survey and it will be really helpful if you can rate for the excellent support you experienced. If you feel your dissatisfied with the support experience, please allow me to correct it or please let me know the cause so that I can improve your future support experience by replying to this thread.

0 Kudos