Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20764 Discussions

Cyclone V Device Handbook missing

atcold
Beginner

Handbook volumes > 2 are missing.

I just want to get started by reading the Device Handbook of my Cyclone V.

I went to: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/fpga/cyclone/v/docs.html

There are 522 manuals!

Searching for "device handbook" returns only:

Cyclone V Device Handbook: Volume 1: Device Interfaces and Integration
Cyclone V Device Handbook: Volume 2: Transceivers

Googling returns this autocompletion:

cyclone v device handbook volume 1
cyclone v device handbook volume 2
cyclone v device handbook volume 3
cyclone v device handbook volume 4

But these docs are outdated and come from other sources.

How is someone supposed to get started when documentation is missing? Help…

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Currently, there's only 2 handbooks for CV.  The info in those older ones (like HPS stuff) was moved to other documentation (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683126/21-2.html).  The current two handbooks are it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

Attached is the Vol3 and Vol4 of the Cyclone V handbook. I will check with web admin regarding the links. 

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
atcold
Beginner

Thanks for getting back to my post.

The handbooks you shared are from 2011 and 2012. Aren't they a little old, or nothing has changed so far?

Moreover, how many handbooks are there in total? How does anyone know this information?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Currently, there's only 2 handbooks for CV.  The info in those older ones (like HPS stuff) was moved to other documentation (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683126/21-2.html).  The current two handbooks are it.

0 Kudos
atcold
Beginner

Oh, that's it, I see. Thanks, @sstrell.

Follow-up question. What would you recommend checking out (flipping through) in order to get started?

Context: I got a DE10-Nano Development Board which has a Cyclon V FPGA. I've been recommended to go through handbooks 1 to 4, but they got "moved". So, in 2022, what should I skim to get started in order to understand the capabilities of the hardware I have?

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos
atcold
Beginner

As you can see, my additional questions have not been answered yet.

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi atcold,

My apologies I've overlooked that. You can refer to the one mentioned by sstrell (Cyclone V Hard Processor System Technical Reference Manual), that's the latest one available on the web yet. You can also refer Cyclone V Device Datasheet for additional reference.

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi atcold,

I wish to follow up with you on this case. Do you still have further inquiries on this issue? 

Please feel free to let me know if there is any concern so that we could further assist you.

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
atcold
Beginner

Hi @Fakhrul,

It talks about

1. Device Interfaces and Integration Basics for Cyclone V Devices
  2. Transceiver Basics for Cyclone V Devices

I'm really trying to understand what the basic documentation is.
Please, let me know if I can be any clearer.

Atcold

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos
atcold
Beginner
Did you just send me the same link I wrote in my first post? It feels like you're mocking me…
0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi atcold,

Good day. I have confirmed this internally and there's a number of rev updates since the early 2010s until now. You may refer to the summary of the chronological rev update below:

The old version

Old Volume 1: Device Interfaces and Integration

Old Volume 2: Transceivers

Old Volume 3: Hard Processor System Technical Reference Manual

Old Volume 4: Device Basics

The updated version:

As you can see below old vol 4 (Device Basics) has been divided and made into an updated document as the new Vol 1 and new Vol 2. It may seem overlapped, but as I said there were a number of rev updates activities that have been taken off since then.

Old volume 1 - > New vol 1 (Cyclone V Device Handbook: Volume 1: Device Interfaces and Integration)

Old Volume 2 - > New vol 2 (Cyclone V Device Handbook: Volume 2: Transceivers)

Old Volume 3 -> Cyclone V Hard Processor System Technical Reference Manual (Cyclone V Hard Processor System Technical Reference Manual)

Old volume 4 - > New vol 1 and New vol 2 

Hope this can help you.

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
atcold
Beginner

Thanks, @Fakhrul. This indeed clears my doubts.

You can now transition this thread to community support.

P.S. I would recommend having some ‘getting started’ landing page for Cyclone V documentation, where these volumes are orderly listed so that beginners have some guidance. Currently, the wealth of information is overwhelming mostly due to a lack of content organisation. 

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi atcold,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos