Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Cyclone V E AS Configuration with MX25L256

Bill_A
Beginner

Trying to configure a Cyclone V 5CEFA2U19I7 with an MX25L256 fails.  The device is MX25L25645GZ2I-08G.  It is configured to use Active Serial x4.  Here is more information.

• Programming .SOF through JTAG works fine.
  • We can create and program the MX25L256 with a .JIC file.
  • The Examine reads back the same data that is programmed with the JIC.
  • We have tried Active Serial x1 and Active Serial X4.
  • We have tried AS Fast and AS Standard.
  • We have tried Quartus Lite 20.1.1.720 and 21.1.0.842.
  • We have tried the Internal Oscillator at 100 MHz and at 12.5MHz.

The behavior is the same.  After power on, the FPGA reads the SPI FLASH.  After the read is complete, the DCLK changes to the configuration clock frequency.  Before configuration completes, nSTATUS goes low and the FPGA re-starts configuration.  All power rails look good.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hi,

I am Farabi who will support your configuration issue.

The nSTATUS goes low during configuration means some setting is not set the correct way.

May I know how you connect the MSEL pins? are they connected to some other controller IOs or are they connected to a fixed connection like pull high/pull low (by switches)?

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

Do you have any updates? Or you can private email me the schematic of configuration connection page.

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
Bill_A
Beginner

The MSEL pins are connected through zero Ohm resistors.  We have tried AS Standard (R370 out and R367 in) and AS Fast(R370 in and R367 out) .  I have attached a picture.

0 Kudos
Bill_A
Beginner

Do you need a copy of the .JIC file?  We have created one with all combinations of the Advanced options and all behave the same.

Disable EPCS/EPCQ ID check

Disable AS mode CONF_DONE error check.

0 Kudos
Bill_A
Beginner

I have attached a picture with the connections to the SPI FLASH

0 Kudos
Bill_A
Beginner

More information.

I have created a custom device to try different settings.  Can you get me information about how the programmer sets up the FLASH and the commands that the Cyclone V issues to configure the FPGA.

We tried an ASx1 JIC file and looked at the transactions.  The FPGA issued a RDSR (Read Status Register) command and read back 0x40.  This indicates that QUAD ENABLE bit is set.  This was supposed to be an ASx1 file so I thought that the programmer would have cleared that bit.  The FPGA also issues a RDID which returns the expected data.  After that, the FPGA reads data and tries to configure.  The DCLK changes frequency but the configuration fails.

Does the programmer set values in non-volatile memory in the FPGA to configure the type of SPI FLASH?  What should the programming sequence be?  I noticed the defaults in the custom device set 4 byte addressing and then turn it off under termination.  When we monitored the configuration sequence, we never see 4 byte addressing get enabled.

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hi, 

I am referring to this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683271/current/understanding-quad-spi-flash-byte-addressing.html

there is dummy cycle that is required. for 4-byte addressing, 4 dummy cycles is required before the config block controller receiving the valid bitstream. 

dummy_cycle.PNG

and I compare with Macronix handbook below, it needs to set DC0 and DC1 accordingly in the configuration register. 

dummy_cycle_from_macronix.PNG

and then I compare to AS configuration timing diagram, FGPA need to supply DCLK signal until all bits completely transferred to FPGA. 

AS_timing_diagram.PNG

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

reference files attached.

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

Do you have further question? 

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hi, 

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos