Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20803 Discussions

DE1 Board broken??!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I added some extra hardware to the Terasic DE1 board by connecting it over the GPIO1 square header. When pressing the power button the board doesn't start up. When I remove my extra hardware it still powers up. However, I noticed that there are some pins not working anymore after trying my extra stuff :( I just drove all pins of GPIO1 high and measured that some pins aren't 3.3V! 

What's propably wrong with it and what can I do? PLEASE HELP:cry:
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Describe what do you have attached and how..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here are some pics of my setup: 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41173070/pics/100_8114.jpg 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41173070/pics/100_8115.jpg 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41173070/pics/100_8116.jpg 

I didn't load any design on the fpga when I attached my additional hardware. It was the default configuration which normally doesn't use the GPIO ports.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

perhaps a short?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hm, so what could be possibly broken on the Board?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Probably FPGA is damaged but replacing it is not trivial.. check also onboard regulator

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What's this onboard regulator you're talking about?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When you use 7.5V DC adapter or USB cable voltage is regulted to VCCint of FPGA (ex. 1.2 Volt), check if voltage (VCCio and VCCint) on FPGA is ok

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know where I can find those test points, but there's a 3.3V test point on the pcb which is ok (3.308V).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't have that FPGA unfortunately, only one DE0-Nano..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok 

Do you know how I can avoid shorts in the future? Maybe there's something I can solder on my experimental pcbs?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have to carefully check your pcb before connecting it to FPGA, test it with a low-cost MCU before..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yeah, that's what I did. But it happened.... 

What about some fuses?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe a large parasite capacitive load..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Stripboard isn't really suitable for wiring stuff to the GPIO headers on a DE1, because the header pins are only one row of holes apart, so it's tricky to break the tracks between opposite pins on the header.  

If you *didn't* break the tracks between them I'm not surprised the board got fried! If you look at the DE1's schematic, you'll see that pin 11 on the GPIO headers carries +5v, but the pin opposite, pin 12, is grounded. Likewise for pins 29 & 30, +3.3v and gnd respectively. 

With your board connected, +5v, gnd and +3.3v were all shorted together, which explains why it wouldn't start up, and why something got fried.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had not noticed.. yes there are many shorts!

0 Kudos