Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

DE1-SoC cycling through 7-segment display instead of acting as programmed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a DE1-SoC board (ref. F) that is not working as I except. Last week, I designed a full adder in Altera Quartus Prime Lite, which I programmed onto the board successfully. I was able to verify that it worked by using the switches and red LEDs. When I tried testing the circuit again today, the board instead cycles through 7-segment LED values. It first displays all 0s, then all 1s, up to all Fs. Toggling the switches and pressing the buttons has no effect.  

I tried re-programming it with a full adder again today. The programmer displayed "100% successful", but it did not change the behavior of the board, which is still cycling through 000000-FFFFFF, even after power-cycling. Have I entered some power-on self test mode? How do I get the board to work properly again? 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I am not mistaken, the 7-segment LEDs cycle mean that the board is configured with a default factory image in the EPCS (configured via the MSEL pins). However, it should stop after you programmed it with your own image (which is strange, if it doesn't). Perhaps you can tried changing the MSEL pins first and see if the behavior persist.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That was an excellent thing to check. The user manual shows this factory default: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12720  

The dip switches on the board seemed to match, but I switched them back and forth to make sure they were all the way over, then rebooted and reprogrammed, and now it works. 

Thank you so much! 

Ellen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Glad to be able to assist :)

0 Kudos