Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20639 Discussions

Design altera FPGA board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi it is a nice day. 

I makes a plan for design altera fpga board.  

But i am novice and i don`t know what is need for my object. 

I first try search with "altera fpga board design" keyword, but i can`t find proper resource. 

Is there any tutorial document? 

It is also very helpful to give me keywords which is need to know for my object. 

Lastly, it is very thanks to read my question. Have a good day!!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to clarify, are you designing a pcb with an altera chip on it, or are you trying to use a board with an fpga on it and write hdl or similar?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Just to clarify, are you designing a pcb with an altera chip on it, or are you trying to use a board with an fpga on it and write hdl or similar? 

--- Quote End ---  

Not using fpga board but designing a PCB is my object.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

On the high level, you can refer to the device design guideline document to get started. You can locate the device design guidelines on Altera website (just search for <device name> design guidelines. 

Now, if you want some in depth details, I can break it down into several more helpful docs: 

1. pin connection guidelines document - this tells you which pins that connect to power/ground/etc. Search for "<device name> PCG". 

2. Schematic review document - similar to PCG but adds notes for checklist: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/board-layout-test/schematic-review-ws.html 

3. PDN (to guide you on the power distribuiton network) - you can get them from here: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/support-centers/signal-power-integrity/power-distribution-network.html 

4. Thermal information on device (for heatsink design ) - search for <device name> EPE tool
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You may not find a tutorial to teach you how to design a system/PCB that has an FPGA in it. 

First, you should be at least aware of the FPGA design flow and FPGA chips. 

You also can check any reference designs created by altera or third party.
0 Kudos