Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

EP3C5E144C7N and EP3C5E144C8N

isagani
Novice

Please advise difference between EP3C5E144C8N and EP3C5E144C7N? 

Can EP3C5E144C7N replace EP3C5E144C8N?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Shivam_Shobhit
New Contributor I

Hi @isagani 

Hope you are doing well.

The following handbook will make you understand what is the difference between EP3C5E144C8N and EP3C5E144C7N Cyclone III devices.

Cyclone III Device Handbook Volume 1. Chapter 1. Cyclone III Device Family Overview ( Ref. Page 1-12)

So after looking at the attached image and the handbook you will get that the numbers 7 and 8 in EP3C5E144C8N and EP3C5E144C7N model nos. represents the speed grade of the cyclone III device family.

So speed grade of EP3C5E144C7N is higher than EP3C5E144C8N.

Hence EP3C5E144C7N  can replace EP3C5E144C8N as both are having the same package types but there will be an increase in speed grade.

Hope this will resolve your issue.

Regards,

Shivam_Shobhit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shivam_Shobhit
New Contributor I

Hi @isagani 

Hope you are doing well.

The following handbook will make you understand what is the difference between EP3C5E144C8N and EP3C5E144C7N Cyclone III devices.

Cyclone III Device Handbook Volume 1. Chapter 1. Cyclone III Device Family Overview ( Ref. Page 1-12)

So after looking at the attached image and the handbook you will get that the numbers 7 and 8 in EP3C5E144C8N and EP3C5E144C7N model nos. represents the speed grade of the cyclone III device family.

So speed grade of EP3C5E144C7N is higher than EP3C5E144C8N.

Hence EP3C5E144C7N  can replace EP3C5E144C8N as both are having the same package types but there will be an increase in speed grade.

Hope this will resolve your issue.

Regards,

Shivam_Shobhit

0 Kudos
isagani
Novice

Hi Shivam,

Thank your for the quick response. Can you help me on the speed grade 7 and 8 values?

0 Kudos
Shivam_Shobhit
New Contributor I

Hey @isagani 

Hope this helps :

Intel MAX and Classic devices use the speed grade to indicate the delay in nanoseconds (ns) through a macrocell in the device. For example, a MAX device with a -10 speed grade has a delay of 10 ns through a macrocell. Devices with low-speed grade numbers run faster than devices with high-speed grade numbers.

Refer: Speed Grades 

Regards,

Shivam_Shobhit 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Shivam_Shobhit      It is always best to provide the source for a cloned answer.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

Shivam_Shobhit
New Contributor I

Respected @AlHill 

Hope you are doing well, But if you do click on the links that I've provided you would have known that I do provide the source for the answer.

You might be a senior to me but you should know that we are on a platform where we share resources and knowledge which might solve each other issue.

So it's a knowledge-sharing platform, you might find it later.

Thanks for bullying, it really will encourage me.

See you soon!

Regards,

Shivam_Shobhit

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I asked you nicely.  I did not bully you.  If you feel I did, you can always report me.  Also, I know well where we are.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello isagani

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  Requests for FPGA products should be posted on the "FPGAs and Programmable Solutions" section. We will move this thread now.

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos