Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Equivalent pins in different packages? (10CL016YU256 vs. 10CL016YU484)

REics
New Contributor I

Hi there, 

Due to part availability I need to change my existing 256pin design to use the 484pin version of the same Cyclone 10CL016 device. I don't need any extra I/Os, and ideally would like to use the same *.rbf file for both package variants.

Does this work if I use only I/O cells which are connected in both the 256pin and the 484pin variants? Where can I find which pins are equivalent (i.e. map to the same I/O cell)? 

For example, I could see in the Pin Planner that the DIFFCLK_6n/p pairs are on pins T8/R8 in the 256UBGA and on AB11/AA11 in 484UBGA by matching their names, but how do I know this for "ordinary" pins? Is there any info where the package pins are internally connected to the die? I am quite sure that the die is the same for both devices but the 256UBGA has not all connections bonded.

Thanks!

Rolf

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hello,
as far as see, pins have unique names in pinout files, should allow to match equivalent pins in different packages.
0 Kudos
REics
New Contributor I

Unfortunately not all pins in the pinout files have unique names - many are just named "IO" together with the package-specific pin (i.e. "T8"). I need the information where the pins are internally connected to, e.g. the name of the respective I/O cell or something like that. In the pin planner I can see additional columns:

- Pad number

- X coordinate (0..41)

- Y coordinate (0..29)

These values seem to designate the location on the die. Can anyone confirm?

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

The die will be the same for different packages. 10CL016.

Not even Intel is big enough (or foolish enough) to have different dies per package.

In smaller packages not all the I/Os get bonded out. They are just unused.

Search for 10CL016 here to get package pinlist files:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/support-resources/devices/lit-dp.html

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Rolf,

Unfortunately, migration capability only possible if there are in the same packages where you can use the same *.rbf file, this is from what I understand. If both devices are in the same migration paths, it is possible to do I/O migration.

However, from you case, both devices are in different packages. So, I would suggest you update the design accordingly.

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided, please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos