Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Error (10686) Aggregate value

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to use a reduction operator on a wire to check for zero. I used to do this all the time using model sim, but now it seems there is some problem with using any reduction operator.  

The offending block: 

// control logic block always @ ( Ctrl, A, B ) begin case (Ctrl) // arithmetic operations 3'o0, 3'o1, 3'o4: begin Z = ~|Ath_out ; // high if zero <- Error!!! V = V_ath ; // set to Arith_16b overflow output N = Ath_out ; // MSB is sign bit end // logical operations 3'o2, 3'o3: begin Z = ~|Log_out ; // high if zero <- Error!!! V = 1'b0 ; // reset N = 1'b0 ; // reset end // shifts do not change flags default: begin Z = Z ; V = V ; N = N ; end endcase end 

The error in the analysis stage this produces is: 

Error (10686): SystemVerilog error at ALU_16b.v(99): Ath_out has an aggregate value 

Error (10686): SystemVerilog error at ALU_16b.v(105): Log_out has an aggregate value 

Ath_out (Log_out) is the output of a submodule defined here: 

// module outputs wire Ath_out ; // arithmetic output wire V_ath ; // overflow flag from arith module wire Log_out ; // logical output wire Sft_out ; // shift output 

and BITWIDTH is a parameter defined by: 

parameter BITWIDTH = 16 ; 

I am pretty clueless about what the problem is. I've tried not using the parameter and just hard coding the bitwidth in but the same error occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not sure if this will fix your error, but I see one issues: 

Change your always block from: 

// control logic block 

always @ ( Ctrl, A, B ) begin 

to  

// control logic block 

always @ ( * ) begin 

Your sensitivity list is incomplete, and can cause differences between synthesis and simulation..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Your sensitivity list is incomplete, and can cause differences between synthesis and simulation..  

--- Quote End ---  

Oops... :oops: 

I'll give that a try tonight, thank you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well the problem was that i was defining my vectors as unpacked arrays 

wire Ath_out ; // arithmetic output 

needs to be: 

Apparently the former will compile in system verilog. Hopefully someone else learns from this. :cry:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Well the problem was that i was defining my vectors as unpacked arrays 

needs to be: 

Apparently the former will compile in system verilog. Hopefully someone else learns from this. :cry: 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks very much - this helped me a lot. I knew about the packed form, but forgot it and got this error. Thanks!
0 Kudos
PTorr1
Beginner

Hi there, I believe the migration of this forum page from the Altera forum to the Intel forum may have gone a bit wrong.

I am guessing that on the previous examples this is what the authors meant:

wire Ath_out [3:0] ; // un-packed array wire [3:0] Ath_out ; // packed array

If someone can confirm that would be great!

0 Kudos