Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1; Cyclone IV Issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've got my brand new, custom, Cyclone IV hardware up and running and am running into problems using .jic programming. My configuration device is a Micron M25P80, I chose it because I've used it in numerous Cyclone III designs with no problems. Now, when I create a .jic file and try to program it, I get the dreaded "Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1" message. Here are some basics of my design; 

EP4CE22UI4I7 

Active Serial Configuration 

MSEL0 = 2.5V 

MSEL1 = 2.5V 

MSEL2 = GND 

JTAG chain works correctly, I can successfully program .sof files. 

Tried Quartus 11.1sp2, 13.1, 14.0 

Tried checking the "disable EPCS ID check" box to no avail.  

If I monitor the M25P80 serial bus during .jic programming I see; 

RES (Read Electronic ID) command with a correct response of 0x13 

RDID (Read Identification) command with a correct response of 0xC2, 0x20, 0x14 

Then no more bus activity. 

Then I get the error message. 

Is it possible that Altera chose to "dis-allow" the M25P80 for Cyclone IV designs? Seems unlikely, but I'm stumped.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you still having problems with this? 

I haven't used the exact part you mention but have used other 8Mb serial devices successfully with Cyclone IV. I've also used several Micron devices, of other capacities successfully with Cyclone IV. 

You mention that this is custom hardware - are you happy it's assembled correctly? That fact that you can see responses from the memory device suggests it probably is. 

I'm a little concerned about the response to the Read identification command. I'd expect that to return 0x20, 0x20, 0x14 - as per the Micron device datasheet I'm looking at. See here: micron m25p80 serial flash embedded memory (http://www.micron.com/~/media/documents/products/data-sheet/nor-flash/serial-nor/m25p/m25p80.pdf) - page 20. 

The error message seems consistent with that mismatch between the manufacturer's ID you read and the datasheet. However, I'm not convinced that would cause the programming to halt. 

Let me know if you're still having problems. I have a suitable Cyclone IV platform on which I could (probably) try that particular Micron part... 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My apologies. I've come to discover the board was actually loaded with a Macronix "substitute", the MX25V8006E. Even so, it appears (from the datasheet) to be functionally compatible with the M25P80 except for a different mfg ID. Shouldn't the "disable EPCS ID check" allow the use of this part?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FYI - I've tested the Micron part. It programs via .jic and boots my Cyclone IV perfectly happily. 

I've never come across the Macronix part - it may well be 'filtered out' by some sort of Altera manufacturer screening. 

If you really need to use the Macronix part then I can see a way around it using the NiosII flash programmer utility. However, you'd need to put a Nios into your FPGA - albeit only to program the 'EPCS'. I can help if you need to know more - let me know if your appetite stretches this far... 

The NiosII flash programmer allows you to identify unknown FLASH devices (that it doesn't know about by default) and how to use them. It may be that the Quartus programmer has a similar feature - but I'm not aware of it. 

Depending on how many of these boards you've built it may well be easier to change the device. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I put a Micron part on my board and it works fine. Thanks for all the help, especially the offer to explain the NiosII flash programmer utility. It may be of use down the road, for now I'll just change the devices on my boards. 

Cheers, 

Greg
0 Kudos
MYang34
Beginner

Hi, glad to see your post. We are doing a design using cyclone IV and m25p80. We met difficulty to program the flash. Can you show the detail steps? Thanks Mike

0 Kudos