Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
19209 Discussions

Error during Schematic to VHDL conversion.

NShan12
New Contributor I

Hello,

I used create/update option in Quartus 18.0 to generate a VHDL file from a schematic:

NShan12_0-1600069710311.png

It is a sign extension operation where MOD1_OUT[9] is extended to convert 10 bit vector to a 21 bit vector. The equivalent VHDL code generated for this block is quite surprising.

SIGNAL MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(20 DOWNTO 0);

MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(20 DOWNTO 10) <= (MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED);

But I think the right way of expressing this sign extension would be:

MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(20 DOWNTO 10) <= (MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9) & MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9));

Could anybody tell me if this is a bug in code generation? Are there any other known issues in VHDL generation from schematic file? Is the naming format MOD1_OUT9 a right way to name the 10th bit of the vector?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I'm not sure what you're doing there (it looks like a short circuit), but individual signals in the schematic editor must have the bit in square brackets: MOD1_OUT[9].

#iwork4intel

NShan12
New Contributor I

Hello,

I changed the name to MOD1_OUT[9] (with square brackets added) as shown below. But no change in the generated code.

NShan12_0-1600154439787.png

And this is not a short circuit. It is just extending the MSB of a 10 bit vector to generate a 21 bit vector output. But the VHDL code generated is concatenating the complete vector "MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED" instead of concatenating only the 10th bit "MOD1_OUT_ALTERA_SYNTHESIZED(9)". I encountered similar issues in other schematic files as well.