Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Ethernet RGMII Cyclone V

BIdro
New Contributor I

Hi,

I'm trying to implement an ethernet application in RGMII mode with a NIOS processor in a Cyclone V 5CSEMA5F31 FPGA and Quartus Prime standard Edition 18.1.

I followed a tutorial for Triple-Speed_Ethernet IP and I instantiated the following components in QSYS:

- NIOS II Processor

- CLOCK NIOS

- On-Chip Memory (NIOS - TSE)

- Triple-Speed Ethernet Intel FPGA IP (RGMII)

- Scatter-Gather DMA Controller RX

- Scatter-Gather DMA Controller TX

- On-Chip Memory Intel FPGA IP (descriptor memory for sgdma)

I created the Soc_system with the QSYS and I connected input and output to the respective ports.

This error occurred during the Analysis&Synthesis :

Error (15871): Input port DATAIN of DDIO_IN primitive "soc_system:comp_SoC_System|soc_system_eth_tse_0:eth_tse_0|altera_eth_tse_mac:i_tse_mac|altera_tse_rgmii_module:U_RGMII|altera_tse_rgmii_in1:the_rgmii_in1|altddio_in:altddio_in_component|ddio_in_gsd:auto_generated|ddio_ina[0]" must come from an I/O IBUF or DELAY_CHAIN primitive

I tried to use an ALTIOBUF component for the input bus RGMII_RX(3 downto 0) but it does not work.

Can you help me?

Thanks

Bryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BIdro
New Contributor I

The solution is to use the Modular Scatter Gather DMA instead of the SGDMA that is obsolete.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Are your DATAIN directly connected to input pins?

Alternatively, you may refer to below from Rocketboards.

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/CycloneVRGMIIExampleDesign

0 Kudos
BIdro
New Contributor I

Hi,

Yes, the signal input "eth_tse_0_mac_rgmii_connection_rgmii_in" of the HPS is connected directly to the input ports of the top_level.

I saw the project from Rocketboards but the 2 ethernet peripherals are connected to the HPS.

Instead I need 1 ethernet peripheral to be controlled by NIOS processor in RGMII configuration.

Thanks,

Bryan 

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

The FPGA supports GMII/MII interface. For RGMII, you will need to add adaptor between GMII/MII to RGMII in FPGA fabric.

0 Kudos
BIdro
New Contributor I

Hi Eric,

thanks for the reply.

Can you give me an example project or tutorial on this GMII/MII to RGMII adapter?

Thanks,

Bryan Idrobo

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

You can find it in c:\intelFPGA\20.1\ip\altera\altera_gmii_to_rgmii_adapter.

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos
BIdro
New Contributor I

The solution is to use the Modular Scatter Gather DMA instead of the SGDMA that is obsolete.

0 Kudos