Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

FPGA Enumeration Failure

KNGanendraMurthy
Beginner

Hi all,

I am trying to program Intel Arria 10 GX Programmable Acceleration Card through RISC-V CPU(SoC) based Hifive Sifive Unmatched Board via PCI express.I am booting up RISC-V CPU using Ubuntu 21.10.I am able to detect the FPGA device through PCI express.But,i am facing FPGA device enumeration failure while booting up the system.I am attaching the error being encountered.Kindly provide solution to the problem being faced

Thanks&Regards

KN Ganendra Murthy

@intel   @BoonBengT_Intel @JohnT_Intel 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if this is performed using Arria 10 Programmable Acceleration Stack or custom build OPAE stack? Can you try to connect to X86 to see if you are facing this issue?

0 Kudos
KNGanendraMurthy
Beginner

Hi,

The error is being generated at boot-time of RISC-V CPU.I am using Ubuntu 21.10 OS on RISC-V CPU which has default dfl-pci modules.I am trying to program Intel Arria 10 GX Programmable Acceleration Card through RISC-V CPU(SoC) on Hifive Sifive Unmatched Board via PCI express.The kernel version of the OS is 5.13.0-1004-generic of the RISC-V CPU

Intel Accelerator Dev Stack is working properly for x86 system

I  tried to install RTE and Acceleration Stack on RISC-V CPU system to program PAC card but it did not work out.Kindly provide suitable solution to the problem

Thanks&Regards

KN Ganendra Murthy

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you are using default OS, can you detect the device using "lspci" I suspect that the instruction used in RISC-V and X86 CPU is differently.

0 Kudos
KNGanendraMurthy
Beginner

Hi,

I am able to check the Intel Arria  10 GX PAC card connection to PCI express of Hifive Sifive Unmatched Board which contains RISC-V CPU as (SoC).I am attaching the output generated from the Ubuntu 21.10 OS Terminal.Kindly check and provide suitable solution to the problem

Thanks&Regards

KN Ganendra Murthy

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would assume that you are able to detect the FPGA through PCIe in the default OS and facing issue when you implement the DFL Kernel Driver. If this is the case then I could say that you might need to look into the DFL Kernel Driver to see if there is anything that might not be suitable for RISC-V to performed.

0 Kudos
KNGanendraMurthy
Beginner

Hi,

I have installed OPAE-SDK in RISC-V CPU.I have also installed OPAE-Intel FPGA Device Drivers from sorce packages available in git-hub.I am able to remove the boot-time error by loading  OPAE drivers in place of DFL.I am facing error while running 'sudo fpgainfo fme'.I am attaching the screenshot of the error.Kindly suggest solution to the problem

Thanks&Regards

KN Ganendra Murthy

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you try to "lspci" to see if the driver is loaded into the Arria 10 PAC card? It looks like the enumaration failed.

0 Kudos
KNGanendraMurthy
Beginner

Hi,

I am able to list the Intel PAC card attached to the RISC-V CPU.I am sending the screenshot of 'lspci'.Kindly check 

Thanks&Regards

KN Ganendra Murthy

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you try to performed "lspci -s 07:00.0 -vv"? I would like to know what is the kernel in used.

Example result as below

Kernel driver in use: intel-fpga-pci

Kernel modules: intel_fpga_pci

0 Kudos
KNGanendraMurthy
Beginner

Hi,

I am loading intel-fpga-pci instead of dfl-pci using 'mv' command.The name of the module is dfl-pci but actual module getting loaded is intel-fpga-pci and I am unable to see the kernel driver.Are kernel modules and drivers same??.Kindly reply

Thanks&Regards

KN Ganendra Murthy 

0 Kudos
KNGanendraMurthy
Beginner

Hi,

I am attaching the output from the server system which has PAC cards attached and drivers installed.Kindly check

Thanks&Regards

KN Ganendra Murthy

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you able to manually communicate with the FPGA device manually? It looks like the the PCIe communication issue where it is enumarated but not able to interface with it.

0 Kudos
KNGanendraMurthy
Beginner

Hi,

Intel Arria  10 PAC card is working properly,the drivers got installed and able to run applications on them in x86 based server systems,But facing issues while trying to do the same with RISC-V CPU

Is it possible to program Intel PAC card through RISC-V CPU using JTAG.RISC-V CPU(SoC) based Hifive Sifive Unmatched Board has a support for JTAG.What are the steps that are to be implemeted to program Intel PAC card through JTAG.Kindly mention.

Thanks&Regards

KN Ganendra Murthy

0 Kudos
KNGanendraMurthy
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to load intel-fpga-pci driver using 'sudo insmod intel-fpga-pci.ko' on RISC-V CPU(SoC)based Hifive Sifive Unmatched Board.I am accessing the board using Ubuntu 21.10 LTS OS.I am attaching the error being generated while loading the driver.Kindly provide solution to the problem.

Thanks&Regards

KN Ganendra Murthy

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I don't think the intel-fpga-pcie is the OPAE driver used. If you are recompiling the FPGA OPAE driver then it should be dfl-pci driver.

0 Kudos