Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

FPGA can't boot from serial flash (MT25QL128) with rpd file downloaded

Celia
Beginner

Hi,

Recently we meet a problem about flash boot up, in our design, we use MT25QL128 serial flash as configuration device in AS mode.

we can download jic file and boot up from jic file successfully, but we also need to program flash in another way,  in our design we are using the serial flash controller II,  that means we need to update flash content through serial flash controller II.

To realize this, first I generate a rpd file from pof file, then add crc value at the end of the rpd file, then download the rpd.crc file to flash address 0, but after power up again, the FPGA couldn't boot up. I read back the flash content, it's same with what I downloaded to flash. I tried this for both big endian and little endian. both not work.

Is there anything that I missed? could you please give us some comments!

Thanks,

Celia

0 Kudos
4 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Celia,

Can you try to remove the CRC value located at the back? Also, you need to reboot the device for new design to boot up.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Celia
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Every time when we download the binary file to flash, our software will check the crc value. After we download the binary file to flash, I will power down, then power up again, but the FPGA can’t boot. I believe the rpd file is already binary file, do I need to use some ways to convert it to binary file again?

Thanks,

Celia

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

HI Celia,

Can you try to generate a RPD file in big endian format without adding any additional data in the bitstream? The reason being is that the addition CRC data that you added might affect it.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Celia
Beginner

Thanks!

according to this guidance, it's ok now.

0 Kudos