Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

FPGA configuration without cpld

nome
Novice
hello
I m using arria ii gx with cfi nor parallel flash memory x8 FPP Mode As we know when we start configure fpga from cfi flash we should have cpld and processor or directly from spi flash it is also easy way to configure fpga but I want to know Is it possible can we configure fpga directy from cfi flash without any maxii cpld or any other devices ?
Thanks
Nome butt
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Just to let you know that as @sstrell mentioned, 'Active' mode is required to initiate the configuration by FPGA itself. In 'Passive' mode, an external device such as CPLD or microprocessor should initiate it.

Choose according to your need and available component.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can check the AS and Fast AS Configuration (Serial Configuration Devices) option to configure the Arria II devices. Refer Arria II Device Handbook, Volume I, Chapter 9.

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/653631?explicitVersion=true

Regards

0 Kudos
nome
Novice
Hello
Thanks for your Reply
In our case sir we have only cfi flash with x8 FPP mode hardware can't add serial prom devices we only have CPLD MAXII
that's why i m asking we don't want to configure from cpld
any other solutions please share us
thanks sir
Nome
0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Well, that's the difference between "passive" and "active" configuration.  Passive means that a secondary device handles configuration, while active means that it's managed directly by the FPGA to the flash device.  If you can't change this in your design (can't change your board design?) to connect the flash directly to the FPGA, you can't use an active configuration protocol like active serial (AS).

0 Kudos
nome
Novice
Hello
@sstrell
Thanks for your valuable comment
We can't change our custom design Active configuration is new for me
My Arria ii full interface with cfi flash and I used pfl only flash programming i can program erase our cfi flash
but can't configure pages thatswhy i asked regarding direct configure from FPGA
Thanks
Nome
0 Kudos
nome
Novice
Hi
I have checked Active prallel mode but in my case Arria ii gx doesn't support this mode
maybe i have to use x8 passive prallel mode
Thanks
nome
0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Just to let you know that as @sstrell mentioned, 'Active' mode is required to initiate the configuration by FPGA itself. In 'Passive' mode, an external device such as CPLD or microprocessor should initiate it.

Choose according to your need and available component.

Regards

0 Kudos