Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20680 Discussions

GUI for NIOS based systems

mnasser431998
Novice
Hi everyone,

can someone help me with this please?
I need to know how to build GUIs like this one. Do I need to use NIOS ii to build this? If that was the case does the nios need to run an embedded linux or bare metal is fine? are there any graphics libraries (non-commercial) that can help me with this?
gui.png
Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @mnasser431998,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope this message find you well.
NIOS in summary is actually a tool (i.e. part of quartus software) that allows developer to edit, build and debug embedded C/C++ application project for the NIOS processor.
I am suspecting that it might not be related on what you have mention on building a GUIs shown below.

Quick clarification, can you further elaborate on what do you mean by build GUIs? Are you trying to build a qsys design for that? And also what will be the GUIs used for? So that we can better understand what you are looking for.

Warm regards.
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @mnasser431998,

Hope this message find you well, by any chances did you managed to look into the clarification mention so that we can better understand the situation and assist you?

Warm Regards
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @mnasser431998,

Good day, as we do not receive any response from you to the previous clarification that we have provided. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

Warm Regards
BB

0 Kudos
mnasser431998
Novice

I'm so sorry for my late response. I haven't checked my e-mail for a while. Thank you first for your response. I know that NIOS is a softcore and I know about Qsys (or) Platform Designer. I have been looking  for a way to build interactive GUIs with FPGAs like the vehicle dashboard shown previously. In software world I think they use graphical libraries or Qt to build these kind of GUIs. Someone advised me to store the images(frames) of the GUI with different states and to store in a memory and load it one by one according to my needs. When I saw the picture shown above of NIOS embedded kit which is exactly the type of GUI I need to build something like I thought that Intel provides something like IP cores or software libraries or something that can help me build interactive GUIs like this one. We chose an FPGA for this purpose because of the configurability that we will be further needing. To summer up my long speech, I just need to know what is the most efficient and cost effective way to build a GUI like this one using an intel FPGAs for real-time applications like a vehicle dashboard.

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @mnasser431998,

I see, noted and thanks for the details explanation on helping me to understand the situation.
Yes the picture above are actually belonging to of our evaluation kit product that has all hardware requirement for your mention use cases. However that product are no longer available and has been replaced with a newer version here.
Link provide would serves as a great starting point to get familiar with the kits, as well here are some design example that might be helpful for further understanding.
Hope that helps.

Warm regards
BB

0 Kudos