Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

HDMI (640x480p) on Cyclone 2?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

So I've been doing most of my display projects with a standard 640x480 VGA monitor but I came across this (http://www.fpga4fun.com/hdmi.html) and was wondering if it's possible to create a low-performance version using HDMI. If I can display 640x480p at 60hz I'm a happy camper. So, going by what I've learned so far: 

- I'll need a pll to create a 250mhz clock for HDMI 

- I need a TDMS encoder (outlined in the link) 

- I need to figure out if a) the cyclone II can handle 250Mb/sec, which it should according to the LVDS data-sheet and b) if there are any electrical specifications I need to take not of (line termination and what not). 

Anyone done something like this before? 

-Mux 

[edit: on a second look, shifting out bits @ 250mhz might be a problem. That said, if I really want 320x240p, does HDMI go as low as 125mhz?] 

[edit2: on a THIRD look it appears that the Cyclone II has an SD-SDI IP block which can serialize data out at standard resolution, using a (PLL'd) 270mhz clock]
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nobody? Anyone? bump!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since I got no answers on this one... Is the Max10 better equipped to do this? It'd be worth upgrading to a Max10 for a number of reasons but it'd be great if I could generate HDMI as well... 

-Mux
0 Kudos