Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

How to get high time resolution by operating a FPGA?

Bumjun
Beginner

Hello. I would like to operate time-to-digital converter in FPGA. 

My main question is how much time resolution can be taken in a FPGA?

There are two sub-questions.

One is that I see a specification of arria model which can operate at about 1.5GHz.

Then, can I make a fast counter with 667ps(1/1.5GHz) time resolution @1.5GHz from internal PLL?

The other is that can I use sub-phases from internal PLL?

If so, how many?

In my case, I have a MAX10 model (10M50). So I synthesize a 400MHz PLL with 100MHz reference clock. 

Then, could I use 4 sub-phases from 400MHz PLL in MAX10?

If so, I guess at least 625ps time resolution can be taken.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Arria 10 I/O PLL can generate a max of 644 MHz for internal clocking (fOUT). I guess you might be mistaking the fVCO number of 1600MHz. Please refer the datasheet.

For the MAX 10 device you can create clocks (5 clocks) with a phase shift of 45 deg. Please refer following link for more information:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/mcn1395213337540.html#mcn1395814790551

Regards

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos