Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

I am getting a hold violation using the on chip flash ip. What can I do to resolve this issue?

KLohr
Novice

It's from avmm_data_read to an internal node in the ip:

-0.060 motor_ctrl:loop1|ufm_stmac:ufm_stmac|data_read motor_ctrl:loop1|ufm_stmac:ufm_stmac|max10_ufm:max10_ufm|altera_onchip_flash:onchip_flash_0|altera_onchip_flash_block:altera_onchip_flash_block|ufm_block~XE_YE_TO_CLK clk25mhz_i clk25mhz_i 0.000 0.478 1.428 1

0 Kudos
11 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Can you post your .sdc and more of this report (a screenshot would be better)? Is the 0.478 the clock relationship/skew? How are you creating the clock and connecting it?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
kadon
Beginner

But this way, I can see what the delays are. And constrain them later.

https://downloadnox.onl/ https://vidmate.vet/ https://vlc.onl/

0 Kudos
KLohr
Novice

0.000=relationship, 0.478 = skew. 1.428=Data Delay

Here's the bulk of the sdc file. Of course, I just rerouted it and didn't get the hold violation. This morning, all the routes had a hold delay.

#**************************************************************

# Create the Input Clock from the external oscillator

create_clock -name {clk25mhz_i} -period 40.000 [get_ports { clk25mhz_i }]

# Create Generated Clock

derive_pll_clocks

create_clock -name clk25Virt -period 40.000

# Set Clock Latency

# Set Clock Uncertainty

derive_clock_uncertainty

# Set Output Delay

set_output_delay -clock { clk25Virt } -max 0.0 [get_ports {motor_h1_o motor_l1_o motor_h2_o motor_l2_o}]

set_output_delay -clock { clk25Virt } -min 0.0 [get_ports {motor_h1_o motor_l1_o motor_h2_o motor_l2_o}]

set_output_delay -clock { clk25Virt } -max 0.0 [get_ports {buzz_o }]

set_output_delay -clock { clk25Virt } -min 0.0 [get_ports {buzz_o }]

set_output_delay -clock { clk25Virt } -max 0.0 [get_ports {led_blank_o led_data_o led_latch_o led_sclk_o}]

set_output_delay -clock { clk25Virt } -min 0.0 [get_ports {led_blank_o led_data_o led_latch_o led_sclk_o}]

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Having a max and min of 0 for your output delays doesn't make any sense and could be part of the problem. But are these outputs driving something that has setup and hold requirements (doesn't look like it). If not, you should use false paths on the outputs instead of set_output_delay.

Does your design not have any inputs?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
KLohr
Novice

The output delays are just place holders. Actually all inputs are asynchronous and outputs don't have any real setup and hold requirements.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

So you should false path all your inputs and outputs. You're basically heavily overconstraining your design by using 0 on all the outputs here.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
KLohr
Novice

But this way, I can see what the delays are. And constrain them later.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

True. But as you can see, you're getting timing violations, so the timing analysis isn't really matching up with the way your design would work for real. Chances are in hardware, you'd have no problems, but because of your overconstraints, the tool is essentially reporting false timing failures.

If you're still in the design phase, like I said, try false paths on all your inputs and outputs. You'll still be able to see timing on internal paths as selected by the Fitter.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
KLohr
Novice

I want to constrain most of my outputs to 1 - 25Mhz clock period (40 ns). With the min and max set to 0 & referenced to the virtual 25 mhz clock, this is assured. And for this device, it shouldn't be a problem. My worst case setup slack is 14 ns to my outputs and worst case hold slack is 1.7ns. So, I'm meeting that by a pretty large margin.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Then I would want to look at the Data Path and Waveform tabs in the timing analyzer to see details on the failing path. Are there other paths failing or just this one?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
KLohr
Novice

No, it was just one internal path to the User Flash Memory IP. avmm_data_read to some internal node in the IP. I saw there was a bug a couple years ago in quartus that they said they fixed that had a similar hold problem to an internal node in the UFM IP. Anyhow, I can't reproduce it any longer. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this though.

0 Kudos