Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

I need to write program to control EPCS chip using USB blaster through AS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have recently experienced issue explained here (https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45474) - EPCS device attached to Cyclone III is not erased by the Quartus II, still containing data written before. The board is not designed for EPCS hot replacement, and not designed to be controlled through JTAG interface. 

Quartus II seem does not have capability to reset block protection bits, and it seems the least pain for me would be to design application which would talk to EPSC through AS cable. I think I can write custom application for my ByteBlaster II as its programming is about controlling wires through parallel interface, but I have no idea how to approach USB blaster. 

Is there any document explaining how to program USB blaster in order to have AS wires controlled in custom way?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There's an Quartus programmer option "Unprotect EPCS devices selected for erase/program operation", did you check if it works in AS mode? 

As for the USB Blaster protocol, there's no Altera documentation, but several clone projects on the internet that have reengineered it. 

There's also third party software interfacing USB Blaster through libusb or FTDI d2xx driver.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you. I did not know it is so hidden in the Quartus programmer. 

Anyway tried it with no result. I anyway decided to make my own programming device (http://kb.gr8bit.ru/gr8bit-kb0018-gr8blaster-device-for-msx.pdf) to prove that status register is 0, but chip does not erase and register does not write. I opened support ticket with Altera.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This doesn't sound like a software issue. Classical Altera EPCS chips are also 100 % compatible with industry standard serial flash.

0 Kudos