Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

JAM/JBC file size increase from Quartus 16 to 20

CBlow
Partner

Hello,

A 10M04SCE144I7N design compiled in Quartus 16.1 generates JAM and JBC files that are 178KB and 357KB respectively.

When the same design is compiled in Quartus 20.1, the JAM and JBC files are 291KB and 535KB respectively.

The JBC is used for updating the device configuration in the field, so the larger file does not fit into the microprocessor that does the programming.

If I take the POF generated by Quartus 20.1 and use the Quartus 16.1 programming tools to generate the JAM and JBC, these files are now 180KB and 357KB.

This is a fine work-around for now, but to stream-line the process it would be nice to use the Quartus 20.1 tools to generate all of the files.

Is there a setting needed for the 20.1 programmer to generate the smaller JAM and JBC files?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You will need to use the command below to include the real-time ISP.

quartus_cpf -c <name>.pof <name>.jam -o background_programming=on

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you share with me the JAM file generated in Quartus 16.1 and 20.1?

0 Kudos
CBlow
Partner

Hi John,

I am unable to post the original files, so I created a test project consisting of an 8-bit counter.
There are 3 files in the zip.

testv16.jam, Compiled in 16.1, JAM size is 73 KB

testv20.jam, Compiled in 20.1, JAM size is 185 KB

testv20_v16.jam, Taking the POF from 20.1 and using the 16.1 programmer to create the JAM, JAM size is 73 KB.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

From my investigation on the jam file generated, it looks like there is additional features added into the JAM file generated which causes the file to be bigger. May I know if you enable the real-time ISP when you are using Quartus 20.1 to generate the JAM file? The reason is that I do not observed this features enabled.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Could you share with me your pof file?

0 Kudos
CBlow
Partner

Hello,

Here's the POF generated by Quartus 20.1.  

Real-time ISP was not enabled.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for providing me the file. In order to have smaller size, you need to enable the Real-Time ISP. In Quartus 16.1, it is automatically enable which cause the size to be smaller than 20.1.

The reason that the size is bigger when real-time ISP is not enabled is because that it will include programming the Max 10 before updating the flash while when you are using real-time ISP features, it is will directly programmed the flash without the need to program the Max 10 device.

0 Kudos
CBlow
Partner

John,

Thanks for the reply.  I was able to create a smaller JAM file with the 20.1 programmer with the real-time ISP box checked.

The goal is to make this scripted with command lines.  With the real-time ISP box checked, I saved the 20.1 CDF and then ran this from the command line

quartus_cpf -c v20_chain.cdf test20.jam

The test20.jam is still large.  The real-time ISP information was not included in the CDF when running command line.

I was unable to find the parameter to make this work.  how do I save the smaller JAM file from the command line?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You will need to use the command below to include the real-time ISP.

quartus_cpf -c <name>.pof <name>.jam -o background_programming=on