Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

MAX-10 IBIS model issue

Shweta_24
Novice

Hello team,

I am working on IBIS model validation of MAX10

I have observed that the temperature ranges in IBIS file for CMOS and TTL models are same.

Ideally, For CMOS temperature which causes  the slow, weak conditions in the "MIN" column

and temperature which causes the fast, strong condition in the "MAX" column.

For bipolar, exactly opposite, "MIN" column contains Highest value and "MAX" column contains lowest value.

This issue will impact the simulation results while using slow, typ, max corner cases.

I have attached below screenshot of both models temperature range

Please help me to solve this issue.

Thank you in advance,

Shweta Chendake

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mengzhe
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

In my opinion, the difference between LVTTL and LVCMOS model is the voltage leveling difference, not meaning the difference on physical die. As you can change the output mode from LVTTL to LVCMOS in a specific GPIO pin through Quartus project, however, the structure of gate in the I/O bank has not been changed.

So, don't worry about they have different electric characteristic. The IBIS model just reflect the I-V curves under different situation.

BR,

Mengzhe

0 Kudos
Shweta_24
Novice

Hello  Mengzhe,

Thank you for your  reply.

In IBIS, Temperature keyword is there to indicate what temperature  was used when the data was extracted from spice simulation or lab measurement.

It is up to the model maker to select correct number for it. 

The meaning of the IBIS temperature is simply that the model's data was generated at these temperatures(typ/min/max).

So, my concern is regarding that temperature range it should not be same for both CMOS and TTL models.

In my opinion Temperature range should be updated in IBIS file for TTL models.

Thank you,

Best regards,

shweta chendake

0 Kudos
Mengzhe
Employee

Hi,

I think your opinion is right on the different I-V characteristic of TTL and CMOS under different temperature.

However, IBIS model of FPGA is just a behavior model, showing I/O I-V characteristic. You can treat it as a black box, not mean there is real CMOS or TTL component. So it does not totally follow TTL and CMOS characteristics under different temperature.

Also, you can refer to this article: How do IBIS models relate to device speed grades? (intel.com)

Best Regards,

Mengzhe

0 Kudos
Shweta_24
Novice

Hello Mengzhe,

Hope you are doing well.

Can we get  IBIS model of MAX10 updated with correct temperature?

Thank you,

Shweta

0 Kudos
Mengzhe
Employee

Hi Shweta,

The present IBIS model of MAX10 has no update plan and the temperature characteristic is correct.

Please feel free to use it.

BR,

Mengzhe