Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

MAX 10 compact Remote System Upgrade

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi folks, 

I have just been reading AN741 ( and the wiki article) as well as the UFM user guide documents with a view to implemting an RSU, but I have a concern. I am using the MAX10M08SCE144, and the UFM user guide in table2.3 suggests that for the compact variant CFM is not available for the compact variant. 

Is this the case? 

Now if this is the case this may not be show stopper as in reality I probably only need to updat my NIOS application which is stored in the UFM, rather than the fabric itself (assuming I got this bit right!) and therefore the CFM is not needed as this is there just to configure the fabric. 

Would I therefore be correcting in assuming that if the UFM space is big enough, i could have two application images in UFM one 'factory' and one for RSU? 

please excuse my ignorance in this but I have never tried using the RSU a great deal, and some of you may have noticed I reecntly had fun and games using the UFM which was also pretty new to me. 

thank you for any advice you kind folk may be able to offer. 

deBoogle
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the dual boot mode, CFM0 will be used for one image, while CFM1/2 will be combined and used for the 2nd image. This leaves you only the UFM to store code for Nios. However, the UFM is not that big on MAX10M08. It has only 32KB total (UFM0 + UFM1), but Nios does take lots of memory, as the following blog post suggests: 

http://limerick.pulserain.com/2016/09/nios-ii-processor-in-max-10-device.html 

And the total BRAM on MAX10M08 is only about 42KB 

So my two cents: dedicate all the UFM to your factory image.  

For RSU, assume you get the new image from UART (or some other interface). You can write a logic module that gets the nios code through UART, download it to NIos, and run the nios to continue your RSU process.
0 Kudos
johny7401
Beginner

Had been written "download it to NIOS" , you meant to handle with on_chip_flash IP or not? Can you explain more detailed?

0 Kudos