Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

MAX 10 long term availability

Max10
Beginner

How long is Intel planing on producing MAX 10 FPGA's? I am starting a new contract and would like to know if the parts will be available 10 years from now.

Thanks Jan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

Please be noted that the life cycle is depending on its order volume. Hence, we do not have the estimated EOL.

You can subscribe to our customer notification mailing list at below link so that you can be notified when an Intel device is going to be discontinued.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd04252012_977.html

However, a lifecycle of a new device (eg: new Max 10) should be about 10-15 years depending on its ordering volume.

Regards,

Aiman

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

There are some many unknowns in your question it is basically impossible to answer.

Which package and/or device? Family members may be in production in 10 yrs, but not in your package.

Market demand. If the volume of parts required by all customers goes too low, Intel may EOL.

If you want GUARANTEED parts in your desired configuration, you have two basic options.

1) Figure out your total demand up front for 10yrs worth of production, and buy the parts now and save in your own stockroom. Ok for smaller production, not reasonable if you can't forecast demand or it is too large.

2) Go to Intel and write a contract for guaranteed production of your part for 10yrs. If you are an excellent existing customer (and already buy lots of parts from them) and have a guaranteed high demand (like 1M to 10M parts per year) Intel may agree. If you are an unknown startup forget it.

I worked at a large telecom for a long time and we had a 7 year production requirement to purchase parts from vendors if they wanted to be designed into our hardware. Any deviation from this required senior level manufacturing VP signoff. Not easy to get. There were parts we wanted to use but couldn't because vendors would not commit to a 7 year production lifetime. So we found another part.

0 Kudos
Max10
Beginner

Thanks for the reply,

Right now I am in the process of selecting  a part. I would like to know if some members of the MAX 10 family have better chance of lasting longer in production than others. I do not want to finish the design and find out, that Intel discontinued the part I have selected. Getting some sort of visibility from Intel would make the part selection easier.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

You are going to have to request a private conversation with Intel to find that out. They are not going to disclose their product plans in an open forum such as this. You will probably need to sign an NDA knowing how Intel works.

You should probably also be a big customer with plans to buy lots of devices. If you are a one off little guy you will be lucky to get the time of day.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

Please be noted that the life cycle is depending on its order volume. Hence, we do not have the estimated EOL.

You can subscribe to our customer notification mailing list at below link so that you can be notified when an Intel device is going to be discontinued.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd04252012_977.html

However, a lifecycle of a new device (eg: new Max 10) should be about 10-15 years depending on its ordering volume.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos