Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

MAX10 FPGA versus Cyclone V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I wrote some VHDL code for the Cyclone V FPGA with ALTLVDS_RX function. 

Can I use the same code for the MAX10 FPGA? 

Regards.
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why don't you try it?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If not mistaken, the Max10 support LVDS using soft logic serdes. I think the same CV ALTLVDS_RX might not work if you compile directly. But you could give it a try also. If not working, then try re-instantiate the IPs.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Why don't you try it? 

--- Quote End ---  

yeah.... just change the device selection and spend a little bit of time to see what is the compilation result.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can also check in the ALTLVDS_RX user guide to see if there is any device family support list.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what usage you downgrade from cyclone V to MAX10??

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Probably to save the cost of flash since Max devices support on chip memory for configuration.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the best would to be try out compilation with design in both device to see if can fit or not. Max 10 is of much lesser logic as compare to CV.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

MAX10 is a huge downgrade in term of performance compared to cyclone V. your usage really that simple allow you for such down grade?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Agree with pororo. Generally switch from FPGA to CPLD might bump into logic resource concern.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Don't get confused by MAX 10 classification as "CPLD". It's a full featured FPGA with flash configuration memory and can well keep up with previous FPGA families like Cyclone III and has quite similar logic core features.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The other MAX devices are more like FPGAs than CPLDs.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By looking at the overview chapter of Max 10 and CV handbook, the smallest devices' LE is 2k (Max10) vs 25k (CIV) which seems to be significant.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i believe cost is not your constraint as you started in cyclone V at the first place, so just stick to cyclone V, better support in feature.

0 Kudos
imajeff
Beginner

Professionally speaking, assuming that because I was able to buy a few Cyclone development boards (more capable than I need for most of my designs) automatically means I can afford to purchase 10,000 more Cyclone V chips just for production, would be extremely unprofessional.  I'm sure you know it is very unlikely that any of my projects use exactly every feature of my development board.

I'm not saying you don't know this but: Always look at the design, once completed, and choose the less-capable chip that can handle that design with a more reasonable price. It sounds very much like this is what they were asking for.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You realize this is a 6 year old thread, right?

0 Kudos
imajeff
Beginner

Do you seriously think my experience is the slightest bit outdated or that nobody needs to know the answer anymore? It should have been said back then

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think it would be back to the initial requirement of your design and applications. Need to evaluate if you can achieve the design in Max or need Cyclone. You can sit with your local FAE for part selection. Or you can also use the part selector tool in Altera web to assist in part selection.

0 Kudos