Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

MAX10 JTAG Secure Design Example unlock

DamBam
Novice

Hi,

I'm struggling with a unlock instruction in mentioned example. The problem is that when I trigger unlock instruction the Quartus Programmer can't accces JTAG chain (Can't Porgram pof/sof, erase, verify). Porgrammer prints the following message:

Error (209040): Can't access JTAG chain
Error (209040): Can't access JTAG chain
Error (209012): Operation failed

Interesting thing is that described issue doesn't occur when I power-cycle the devboard and trigger unlock instruction then.

So the question is,  should the unlock instruction give the control of the JTAG Control Block back to external interface?

and if the answer is positive why it's only done once after power-up?

Thanks in advance

DB

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi DB,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

For Max 10 design example unlock, have you refer to the design example page and follow the instruction in the document?https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/15.0.0/Standard/max10-jtag-secure-unlock/

Let me know your concern.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
DamBam
Novice

Hi @NurAiman_M_Intel ,

Thank you for response.

Yes, I followed the instructions in the document, and the design worked as described in the document, I was able to run JAM file in quartus_jli. I observed that FPGA reconfigured when JTAG was unlocked, and didn't reconfigured when JTAG is locked.

But then, after triggering unlock (by pressing pushbutton), in Quartus Programmer (connected to JTAG I/O) I couldn't program a new SOF file to CRAM nor new POF to on-chip flash. I couldn't erase on-chip flash as well untill the power cycle is performed on the board.

After power cycle, and triggering unlock command (PB), I was able to program SOF, POF and erase.

I run this exmaple on terasIC DE10-Lite, the simulation was performed before hardware run, because I didn't wat to lock the devboard permanently.

Thanks, and looking forward to hear from you

DB

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please check if the design that you used has the unlock function.

The reason is that based on the testing, I understand that the design in the flash does have this function where after you power cycle and the Max 10 device is loaded with JTAG Secure design and JTAG unlock function then you were able to unlock the device successfully.

If you are using the incorrect design then you will face issue on unlocking the JTAG chain and will cause JTAG programming to fail.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos