Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18989 Discussions

MAX10 RAM (M9K) content at power up?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using MAX10 10M04DCF256. 

Documentation for the M9K RAM blocks makes clear that the output register of the RAM is cleared at power-up and you don't see RAM content at the output until after the first read cycle. 

The tools also provide for specifying the RAM content as part of the configuration data - but not on the 'DCF' devices as the flash is too small for a configuration image with RAM initialisation. 

I was therefore expecting that RAMs in my design would power-up with arbitrary content. 

However, on my prototypes I am finding that the RAM is in fact cleared to zero at power-up. 

Is this a fluke, or is it an undocumented feature that a configuration file without RAM initialisation actually initialises it to zeros?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All FPGA registers, including those in a RAM block unless initialized with a .hex or .mif file, power up low. This is common across all device families (though Stratix 10 does now allow you to power up a register to 1).

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. I guess you mean "All altera FPGA families" as it's definitely not the case elsewhere!