Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

MAX7000A config size

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need to touch an existing products and I should determine the size of the configuration EEPROM (of EPM7032) what I could not find in documentation. Could someone help me how/where can I find CPLD's configuration memory size? 

thanks, 

gabor
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Gabor, 

for CPLD devices is important to know a device internal structure such as macrocell count or logic array block count. EPM7032 consists of 32 macrocells and 2 logical array blocks. I would recommend to check the device datasheet and check Device Macrocell diagram as well as Device Block Diagram for EPM7032 device. 

Regards, 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Martin, 

I checked the DS again, but I could not locate any information about the configuration memory size of the macrocells, LA's or even on device level. I understand the structure and the modification works just fine, but (for SW) I should determine the possible max length of the configuration file (pof). 

So, I would restate my question in the following way: Is the size of pof file can vary based on the resource utilization of the CPLD? :) 

Thanks, 

gabor
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Gabor, 

I have compared a couple of POF files generated by Altera MAX II/Quartus and targeting to the same device and some of them have different size. So the answer is yes, the size of a POF file can vary on the utilization but only slightly. I don't know the exact reason. FYI: The exact fuse count for the mentioned device of EPM7032 is 14672 as can be checked in the 3rd party device programmer software. 

Regards, 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Martin! 

I was expecting to find the device specific fuse count (or EEPROm size) in the datasheet, but your answer is covering everything I need now. Thanks a lot for your help! 

Best regards, 

gabor
0 Kudos