Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20640 Discussions

MT25Q256 replacement for EPCQ256 write issue

RLyon
Novice

Hi,

We recently replaced the EOL EPCQ256 device with the suggested MT25Q256 Micron device. I've enabled support for the device in Quartus 17.1 using the suggested ini mod and our software engineer has followed the steps here (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/component/2018/how-do-i-enable-micron-s-mt25q-support-for-eol-of-epcq---256mb--.html) to set the NVCR. The device flashes correctly using JTAG and operates as expected after configuration.

However, we cannot write correctly to the flash device through the ASMII Flash IP over PCIE from a Linux system. Whenever we attempt a write we just get the blank FF state returned. We can erase a written sector and read data off the memory but we can't write to it (which is a problem since our product goes into a sealed unit which must be updated remotely). We've tried updating to 18.1 but have had serious problems with IP compatibility and issues speaking to our license server so if this can be resolved using 17.1 it would be preferable.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RLyon
Novice

I've resolved the issue. We were using an old version of the ASMII Parallel 2 that had somehow gotten ported across into the 18.1 software. By removing the ASMII Parallel 2 IP and replacing it with a new instance of the IP (which reported as ASMI Parallel 2 Top) we were able to talk to the MT25Q properly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jens
Novice

Hi RLyon,

I had the same problem with Arria 10 and the Serial Flash Controller IP replacing an EPCQL256 with a MT25QU256. After I replaced the Serial Flash Controller in QSYS with Generic Quad SPI Controller II writing tho the flash works again.

For that you have to use an other API function (alt_qspi_controller2_write) .

Jens

RLyon
Novice

Sounds like Altera didn't update the combined ASMII controller IP properly. I'll see if that workaround will work with our solution.

EDIT: Are you using NIOS? We're communicating with the device through a Linux driver which we'd rather not change if possible.

0 Kudos
RLyon
Novice

A quick update: I was able to work around the licensing server issues we've been having by building using the 18.1 Lite Edition. The ASMII2 IP still does not work and we still cannot write to the flash from our Linux driver.

0 Kudos
RLyon
Novice

I've resolved the issue. We were using an old version of the ASMII Parallel 2 that had somehow gotten ported across into the 18.1 software. By removing the ASMII Parallel 2 IP and replacing it with a new instance of the IP (which reported as ASMI Parallel 2 Top) we were able to talk to the MT25Q properly.

0 Kudos