Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Max10 CRAM configuration with RPD file via system console/host CPU

GD76
Novice

We have only SPI interface available on host CPU. Looking to understand how the CPU can do CRAM configuration or update the CFM/UFM internal flash in MAX10 with the interface. Most document using QSPI but to interface to SPI Flash, not host. Can the QSPI controller run stand-alone to update the CRAM or CFM without NIOS. 

I have the RPD file created. The file is created from pof file. 

1. How to create .rbf (raw binary file)? 

2. Is remote update (RSU) supported for MAX10? The IP Catalog does not highlight that for MAX10 in Quartus 18.1 std. Did Intel replace RSU with NIOS now?

3. What IP needed at MAX10 side to receive the RPD file - UART, I2C or can Slave SPI work.

Most of the documents and application notes are about using NIOS. However this require software. Looking for how the MAX10 can received data purely together hardware connection only.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

MAX 10 FPGA does support Remote System Upgrade feature. You may like to refer to the following document on options available to do this.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/sss1393988509894.html#sss1394717031728

It also provide links to a RSU example. It is also possible to access RSU block through user logic, which in your case will be based on SPI interface (link provided in above document).

Please note that CFM/UFM requires a .pof file.

Regards

0 Kudos
GD76
Novice

I looked at that before submitting questions. 

In Quartus, platform designer DOES NOT highlight “remote Update IntelFPGA IP” under the IP Catalog Configuration and Programming for selection  if MAX10 selected as device.

The section 3.5 (Accessing Remote System Upgrade through User Logic” too light to understand in depth of anything. If there are reference design or application note beyond helps.

The RSU example provided is for UART with NIOS based RSU and not with user logic (no NIOS).

Maybe you can point me to the RSU example of USER LOGIC.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
GD76
Novice

looked at that before submitting questions. 

In Quartus, platform designer DOES NOT highlight “remote Update IntelFPGA IP” under the IP Catalog Configuration and Programming for selection  if MAX10 selected as device. 

See the attached file that says "altera_remote_update" not supported for Max10 family.

The section 3.5 (Accessing Remote System Upgrade through User Logic” too light to understand in depth of anything. If there are reference design or application note beyond helps. The RSU example provided is for UART with NIOS based RSU and not with user logic (no NIOS).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
atattyman
Beginner

Hello Ash,

I wonder if you can help me. My goal is to implement RSU on a max 10 device via the easiest method. 

My FPGA design is is all discreet logic, manually written in VHDL, I have no Nios implementation and have no experience with Nios.

Until now, I have created my design in Quartus 18.1 using only manually written VHDL, and programmed a pof to the device each time via usb blaster. 

Could you recommend an approach for somebody like me, and any examples that might help?

Kind regards

AT

0 Kudos
GD76
Novice

I looked at that before submitting questions. 

The section 3.5 (Accessing Remote System Upgrade through User Logic” too light to understand in depth of anything. If there are reference design or application note beyond helps.

The RSU example provided is for UART with NIOS based RSU and not with user logic (no NIOS).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

If you are using 10M02 family or SC subfamily you cannot use dual configuration features. If don't you can refer: https://community.intel.com/t5/Programmable-Devices/MAX10-RSU/m-p/1346476/highlight/true#M82672

0 Kudos