Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Max10 Dual configuration IP read boot source

rt52
Beginner

I am implementing RSU for a Max10M50 using discrete logic.  I have components in place to read and write to CFM1&2 through a serial interface.  I have instantiated the Dual Boot IP core hoping to be able to detect the image that got loaded on the current start up, but I don't see much regarding that in the MAX10 Configuration User Guide.

Basically, I want to be able to detect a boot from CFM1&2(the update image) so I can proceed as normal, or detect a boot from CFM0(factory image) prompt for a redownload.  The only registers in the Dual Boot IP that may do this are offset 5 and 6, but this is not very clear to me.  Which offset/bits should I be reading from to detect what image the current boot is running from?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DavidLarochelle
Beginner

In ug_m10_config.pdf, section " Dual Configuration Intel FPGA IP Core References", you will see that

- config_sel register allows you to select which CFM will be used for next boot

- msm_cs register tells you which CFM was used on last boot

Table 14 gives you de definition of the msm_cs register. I currently use the msm_cs from offset 4 and it seems to work as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

It's been a while since I've looked at this, but the CONFIG_SEL pin is used to select which image to use on boot (0=CFM0, 1=CFM1/2).  Do you have no way of knowing what that signal is set to?

0 Kudos
rt52
Beginner

While I can read the CONFIG_SEL pin, it is pulled up to always boot from CFM1/2, which is what I want under normal circumstances.  However, in the case that something goes wrong with the image in CFM1/2, I need a way to see a boot has occurred from CFM0 so I can lock functionality and prompt for a redownload to CFM1/2.  Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the CONFIG_SEL pin changes to reflect that if it is on a 10K pull up

0 Kudos
DavidLarochelle
Beginner

In ug_m10_config.pdf, section " Dual Configuration Intel FPGA IP Core References", you will see that

- config_sel register allows you to select which CFM will be used for next boot

- msm_cs register tells you which CFM was used on last boot

Table 14 gives you de definition of the msm_cs register. I currently use the msm_cs from offset 4 and it seems to work as expected.

0 Kudos
rt52
Beginner

Thank you, yes that is what I was looking for.

0 Kudos