Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18983 Discussions

Max10 Dual configuration IP read boot source

rt52
Beginner

I am implementing RSU for a Max10M50 using discrete logic.  I have components in place to read and write to CFM1&2 through a serial interface.  I have instantiated the Dual Boot IP core hoping to be able to detect the image that got loaded on the current start up, but I don't see much regarding that in the MAX10 Configuration User Guide.

Basically, I want to be able to detect a boot from CFM1&2(the update image) so I can proceed as normal, or detect a boot from CFM0(factory image) prompt for a redownload.  The only registers in the Dual Boot IP that may do this are offset 5 and 6, but this is not very clear to me.  Which offset/bits should I be reading from to detect what image the current boot is running from?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DavidLarochelle
Beginner

In ug_m10_config.pdf, section " Dual Configuration Intel FPGA IP Core References", you will see that

- config_sel register allows you to select which CFM will be used for next boot

- msm_cs register tells you which CFM was used on last boot

Table 14 gives you de definition of the msm_cs register. I currently use the msm_cs from offset 4 and it seems to work as expected.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

It's been a while since I've looked at this, but the CONFIG_SEL pin is used to select which image to use on boot (0=CFM0, 1=CFM1/2).  Do you have no way of knowing what that signal is set to?

rt52
Beginner

While I can read the CONFIG_SEL pin, it is pulled up to always boot from CFM1/2, which is what I want under normal circumstances.  However, in the case that something goes wrong with the image in CFM1/2, I need a way to see a boot has occurred from CFM0 so I can lock functionality and prompt for a redownload to CFM1/2.  Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the CONFIG_SEL pin changes to reflect that if it is on a 10K pull up

DavidLarochelle
Beginner

In ug_m10_config.pdf, section " Dual Configuration Intel FPGA IP Core References", you will see that

- config_sel register allows you to select which CFM will be used for next boot

- msm_cs register tells you which CFM was used on last boot

Table 14 gives you de definition of the msm_cs register. I currently use the msm_cs from offset 4 and it seems to work as expected.

rt52
Beginner

Thank you, yes that is what I was looking for.