Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

Modelsim can't find library

motico
Beginner

Hi

I am trying to simulate multiplier IP core.

The IP core built using Quartus 19.4 pro for Stratix 10.

when running Modelsim SE for simulation (The version that came with Intel Quartus), an error appear: 

(vcom-1598) Library "lpm_mult_1910" not found

Where can I find the library?

Thanks

Moti Cohen

DSIT

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi, 

LPM library along with other libraries are located in subdirectories of the \ quartus\libraries\vhdl directory.

0 Kudos
motico
Beginner

Thanks for the answer.

I can see the LPM library. I can't see inside the LPM library the lpm_mult_1910.

also, the Modelsim can't find lpm_mult_1910 library. 

The above library is just an exmple. I see more libraries that modelsim can't find (only at Quartus 19.x and Stratix 10)

Can you help?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I not sure if using Modelsim Starter Edition could be the reason that you can't find the other library. 

Could you try to install Modelsim - Intel FPGA Edition instead and try again? 

0 Kudos
motico
Beginner

Hi

The Modelsim that I am using is Modelsim - Intel FPGA Starter Edition 10.6.

I think that you are right and the problem is not the Modelsim vertion. I am using the same Modelsim to run simulation on Cyclone without any problem.

I can guess that the Startix simulation library is not built in the same method as other FPGAs. 

Help with this topic is welcome.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi, 

Do you able to solve your issue? Do you need further help on this? 

Best Regards,

Shyan Yew

0 Kudos
motico
Beginner

Hi Shyan 

I still have not found solution for my question.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Sorry for idling for some time. Could you share your achieve project so I could look into it? 

0 Kudos
motico
Beginner

My question does not relate to a specific project. It realte to Quartus 19.4 pro.
My question: Is there a way to simulate QUARTUS 19 PRO in the same way as QUARTUS 18?

For example.
Using Quartus 19.4 pro, I build multiplier 16 bit x 16 bit.
When I run the compiler at Modelsim I receive this message:
** Error: ../mul_16x16/mul_16x16/synth/mul_16x16.vhd(6): (vcom-1598) Library "lpm_mult_1910" not found.

How to make the MODELSIM find the library "lpm_mult_1910"?
Is there a way to run simulation in Quatrus 19 pro at the same simulation process as in Quartus 18?

Thanks for your help

Moti

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

When you stated Quartus 18, do you refer to standard version?

Which simulation flow you are refer to? Is it Nativelink or script simulation?  Quartus Pro only support script simulation while Quartus Standard support both Nativelink and script simulation. 

Do you use any Intel IP or custom IP in your project? 

0 Kudos
motico
Beginner

I am trying to run the Nativelink simulation for Quartus 19 pro. 

For now I am using Quartus 18 standard version for Intel IP simulation. That is, builds the Intel IP in quartus 18 and performs a simulation.

I know that PRO version support only script simulation.

If I must use script, my question is, how can I write and run simple script that compile only the library that I need for Intel IP simulation?    I mean that the script will produce only the library for the IP that defined in the script without the test bench and all the IPs in the desigen. 

If I can do it, I hope that from this point I can run the Modelsim in a Nativelink simulation process.

Thank you for your answer.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

You may checkout the document below on how to perform scripted simulation flow for Quartus Pro.
In the document, the PLL_RAM example design includes Intel FPGA IP cores to demonstrate the basic simulation flow.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-20093.pdf

1.3 Generate a Simulator Setup Script Template (page 5) in the document will explain on how to generate script for Intel IP. Proceed to 1.4. Modify the Simulator Setup Script to include the design files and testbench. 

I recommend to use Quartus standard version if you prefer to use the Nativelink feature. If not, in Quartus Pro version, you may need to manually write the simulation script to simulate the design.
Fyi, Nativelink does the same thing as scripted simulation flow, but with automation.  

0 Kudos